Yes, we made it through a super busy October! There’s a lot of fun stuff happening in November that you’ll want to check out. Here’s some of the top events that are on our radar for the month. Note: Please see individual listings for times, ticket prices, venue information, etc.
1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Celebration | November 3 | Kalamazoo Public Library-Eastwood branch
- Celebrate the release of Book 10, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School. Can you kick it with Greg? Play Games. Listen to the beginning of the new book read aloud. Fun for Wimpy Kid fans of all ages. Snacks and prizes.
2. Fossil Fun – with Paleo Joe | November 5 | Portage District Library
- Meet dinosaur digger Paleo Joe and learn what fossils tell us about the way that dinosaurs lived! Open to students in elementary school accompanied by a parent.
3. 20th Annual Kalamazoo Russian Festival | November 7 | WMU’s Fetzer Center
- The 20th annual Kalamazoo Russian Festival will include a full day of programming for adults and children (the event includes a special children’s activity area).
4. Fall Migration Celebration | November 8 | W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary
- Bring the entire family to celebrate the fall waterfowl migration! Practice waterfowl ID along the lakeshore, participate in games and activities along the trail, and warm up with cider at the end of your walk.
5. Annual Kalamazoo Holiday Parade | November 14 | Downtown Kalamazoo
- This downtown Kalamazoo event features giant balloons that grace the sky for a dazzling performance of flight. It also showcases more than 80 community organizations, businesses, bands, and clowns –all making the parade a fun-filled holiday celebration. And, as the tradition holds true, Santa is always the finale!
6. Celebrate The Gift of Touch at the KVM | November 14 | Kalamazoo Valley Museum
- Prepare for the holidays at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum during the Hands-On event “The Gift of Touch”. Create gifts that will not only touch the heart, but offer a tactile experience for both the maker and the receiver. Follow the Holiday Parade to the Museum and create a variety of gifts from wood, paper, plastic, fabric, yarn, and more.
7. Author Chris Van Allsburg presents The Polar Express, 30th Anniversary | November 15 | WMU Little Theatre
- Join the Bookbug in welcoming the extraordinarily talented and beloved author/illustrator Chris VanAllsburg for the release of the very special anniversary edition of his loved classic THE POLAR EXPRESS. Chris will offer a full presentation on the making of this remarkable book and be signing this and several of his other titles.
8. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical | November 25 | WMU’s Miller Auditorium
- The beloved TV classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer soars off the screen and onto the stage this holiday season. See all of your favorite characters including Santa and Mrs. Claus, Hermey the Elf, the Abominable Snow Monster, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius and, of course, Rudolph, come to life in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical.
9. Mary Poppins | November 20- December 6 | Kalamazoo Civic Theatre
- The practically perfect Mary Poppins will be flying into town just in time for the holidays. As the magical story unfolds, young Jane and Michael Banks have sent many a nanny packing. Using a combination of magic and common sense, the enchanting Mary Poppins arrives on their doorstep, ready to teach the family how to appreciate each other again.
10. Tree Lighting at Bronson Park | November 27 | Bronson Park
- The City of Kalamazoo’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony will again be held at Bronson Park, the heart of Kalamazoo. The Mayor, City Commissioners, City Manager and Santa will all be on hand to read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas’, light Kalamazoo’s Christmas trees, and kickoff what is sure to be another great holiday season!
Plus, check out our Event Calendar for the month. We’ve been working hard to add some great events coming up over the next few months.
Hope you have a great November!