Have the winter blues got you feeling down? Well, never fear, KZOOkids.com is here with a list of 15 fun things to do for less than $5!
1. Check out your local animal shelter for any volunteer programs they may have. Cuddling little animals is always a great way to chase away the winter blues!
2. Build a snow fort and then defend it with a snowball fight. Check out these ultimate snow forts.
3. Head over to the treasured Kalamazoo Valley Museum to find some new artifacts!
4. Check out the new and improved Sarkozy Bakery for a freshly backed pastry or cookie.
5. Attend IHOP’s National Pancake Day celebration on March 3! Guests enjoy a free short stack of Buttermilk pancakes. In return for the free pancakes, guests will be asked to consider leaving a donation for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals© or other designated local charities.
6. Host a “drive-in” movie in your living room. Decorate boxes to look like cars and then add some freshly popped popcorn and you’re all set!
7. Go for a winter hike. See if you can spot some bright red cardinals flying above the snow! See our favorite place to hike here.
8. Host your own version of the popular TV show Cupcake Wars. See who can come up with the most creative flavor combo!
9. Grab some warm winter gear and a sled and head over to Kindleberger Park or one of our other favorite sledding hills.
10 Brave the frozen lakes for some ice fishing! Check out the Youth Ice Fishing 101 being put on by Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery on February 14.
11. Plan a visit to the library and let the hours pass while you cozy up with a good book. There are even some fun new activities to check out the Kalamazoo Public Library.
12. Make some ice cream out of snow.
13. Make your own bird feeder. Recycle your toilet paper tubes by covering them in peanut butter and bird seed. Watch the birds flock to your trees to get some snacks!
14. Go to your local dollar store to pick up some craft masks and decorate some silly disguises!
15. Check out one of the FREE movies at the Flick’s Family Film Fest starting on February 27. FREE for kids 12-and-under and just $5 for adults.
Now that you have some ideas, you’re sure to have an answer the next time you hear, “Mom! I’m bored!”
Happy adventures in boredom busting!