by Jill P
Going on a date with your significant other can be expensive. After hiring a babysitter, the time alone for a date night can really add up. But it’s worth it. We’ve come up with some fun ideas for inexpensive date nights. By inexpensive, we’re defining this as $15 or less per person.
With help from our readers and some brainstorming from our KZOOkids.com writing team, here’s what we came up with for some fun summer date night ideas:
Inexpensive Date Ideas
- Attend a free outdoor movie in the park. The Kalamazoo Parks & Recreation Department has a fun summer outdoor movie lineup. Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, & Remember the Titans are some of the movies that will be playing this summer.
- Go geocaching. The Kalamazoo Nature center has a “Welcome to Goecaching” activity on May 17 and Geocaching on June 6.
- Spend a night stargazing under the stars. The Kalamazoo Astronomy Association has several dates for public observation sessions.
- Cheer at a local sporting event. The Kalamazoo Growlers and the Battle Creek Bombers both start their seasons soon. You can get standard tickets for less than $10 per person.
- Enjoy a glass of wine at the Sky Deck and watch the activity of downtown Kalamazoo.
- Find a perfect location for watching the sunset.
- Check out the Parade of Homes June 12-20, 2015, Tickets are just $15 and can be used throughout the entire dates of the parade. Get inspired by some of the new home ideas.
- Share a conversation over a cup of coffee. Some of our readers favorite places include Water Street Coffee Joint, Chocolatea, Tutor House Tea, Something’s Brewing, and Fourth Coast.
- For a mid-week date during the summer, check out Wednesday Night Cruise-Ins at the Gilmore Car Museum. The fun starts at 5 pm and runs until 8 pm, with George & Sally’s authentic 1941 Blue Moon Diner serving hot dogs, hamburgers, frozen custard, and more during the show. Entrance is free and food at the diner is inexpensive.
- Attend a local karaoke night.
- Dollar Date: Each person gets $1 to spend at a dollar store on the other person.
- Check out the Friday Night Highlights at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum. Many of the shows are just $5 and some are free!
- Take a test drive in a new car you dream of owning one day.
- Art Hop is always free and held the first Friday of each month. Some of our favorite Art Hops take place during the summer. It’s the perfect time to stroll through Kalamazoo.
- Take in a movie on Sunday for just $5. Celebration Cinema offers Sunday Radio Discount Movies. Each week features a different movie.
- Take a drive to the lakeshore. Saugatuck, St. Joseph, and South Haven are a good driving distance from Kalamazoo. There’s plenty of opportunities to window shop in each of these beach resort towns. Plus, St. Joseph has a great Friday Night Concert Series running June 26- September 4.
- Spend some time at a local beach. See our listing of SW Michigan Beach Guide for a beach nearby.
- Visit the farmers’ market. See our Farmers’ Market Guide for a listing of all of the farmers’ markets in SW Michigan. Pick a new one to try out.
- Mark your calendar for Hidden Kalamazoo on June 20 & 21. Tickets are $15 per person. See some of the hidden places and learn some of the stories behind special places in Kalamazoo. Offered by the Kalamazoo Historic Preservation Commission.
- Find a nearby festival to attend. Kalamazoo has a ton of fun festivals at Arcardia Festival Plaza. Stay tuned for our Festival Guide coming out soon!
- Volunteer together. Check out opportunities at Volunteer Kalamazoo.
- Go dancing. Check into some of the local dance companies that offer a free first time dance lesson.
- Take pictures of you both at different spots throughout the city. Get the pictures developed and make your own date night mini-photo album.
- Take a walk through the Leila Arboretum and enjoy the beautiful gardens.
- Jump together at Sky Zone Kalamazoo (not just for the kids) and get a good workout in. They offer a two-hour (Jumpapalooza) all-access pass to everything at Sky Zone on Friday nights for $15.
- Dig out gift cards and use them. We all probably have a restaurant or other gift card somewhere. Just locating them is the key!
- Look up local deals on a phone app.
- Go bowling at Airway Lanes and check out some of their fun activities, too. Head out on a Tuesday night for 1/2 off nights where you can try one of their activities for 1/2 off.
- Play Frisbee golf together. Discover Kalamazoo put together a great listing of area places to play. (Note: the Air Zoo no longer has their disc golf course).
- Get your kids involved: Have them serve you dinner restaurant-style.
- Try paddle boarding. The Portage Parks & Recreation Department along with Lee’s is offering free demos. See the Portage Summer Recreation Brochure for more info.
- Take a historic tour of Kalamazoo. Print out the walking tour and head out to explore. Watch also for the Historic Walks sponsored by Gazelle. These will be announced soon!
Hope you like these ideas! Have a great date night!