by Leslie P
From baboons to alligators and giraffes to zebras, a trip to Boulder Ridge Wild Animal Park is one “wild” ride! Located in Alto, Michigan, just east of Grand Rapids, the park opened to the public in 2011.
5 REASONS TO PLAN YOUR NEXT TRIP
Here are five reasons you may want to plan a trip:
1. Exotic Animals – The park is home to many unique wild animals that you won’t get the chance to see in many zoos including: wildebeests, kudu, water bucks, jackal, capybara, giraffes, parrots, camels, tarantulas and pythons located in the reptile house.
2. Bird Aviary – One of my favorite parts of the day was going into the bird cage area. Not only do you get to see colorful parakeets up close, you get the chance to have them land on you while you feed them. Feeding sticks are available for $1 at the feed station. It is a really fun experience!
3. Safari Ride – Hop on a safari bus for a 20-minute guided tour around the park where you will get the chance to see zebras, bobcats, bison, ostriches, water buffalo, emus, antelope and many more.
4. Kids Play Area – Near the safari station is a fun play area where kids can climb on animal statues, play in the sand, take a train ride (tickets available for purchase at the feed station) and take pictures. There is also a picnic pavilion located in this area where you can rest and grab a snack.
5. Feeding Animals – At Boulder Ridge you get the chance to be up close and personally interact with the animals. You can purchase feed from the feeding station and feed animals such as goats, fish, birds, camels, giraffes and more.
TIPS FROM A PARENT
- There are hand sanitizers around the park, however, you may want to consider bringing wipes and sanitizer after you touch the animals.
- If you plan to feed the animals, bring cash to purchase items from the feeding station.
- Snacks and beverages are available for purchase at the gift shop.
Boulder Ridge Wild Animal Park
8313 Pratt Lake Dr. SE
Alto, MI 49302
May 1st through Mid-October
Monday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (last admission at 5:00 pm)
Tuesday 10:00 am to 8:00 pm (last admission at 7:00 pm)
Wednesday through Saturday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (last admission at 5:00 pm)
Sunday: 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm (last admission at 5:00 pm)
Adults 12 and over $12.00
Seniors 62 and over $9.00
Ages 3 to11 $9.00
Ages 2 and under FREE