by Jill P
On Thursday June 16, the Champions for Health Kids Coalition will hold a free community event to inspire kids and families to keep active and healthy this summer.
“We support families in their efforts to instill healthy habits at home,” said Sean Fletcher, Director of Parks and Recreation, City of Kalamazoo. “We know that it can sometimes feel like a challenge. At the Family Fit Festival, we’ll encourage kids to stay physically active all summer long, and give families tips they can easily replicate at home. It’s free and open to the community.”
This Year’s Event
The Family Fit Festival takes place at Upjohn Park from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on June 16.
The Family Fit Festival, a true community collaboration, features activities such as: youth games, farmers’ market, obstacle course, tower gardening, family yoga, skateboard park, and more. Additionally, local businesses and organizations will be in attendance to provide community resources and information to families in the Greater Kalamazoo area.
Healthy Tips for Families
In celebration of the Family Fit Festival, the Champions for Healthy Kids Coalition offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- Try, try, repeat – There are many great tasting fruits and vegetables that many kids have never heard of, let alone tried. Grab a new fruit or vegetable and encourage everyone in the family to try at least a bite.
- Play around town – Challenge the family to play on a different playground every week. Identify playgrounds at a variety of parks; expand definitions of playgrounds to include nature trails, a nearby stream and a bike path.
- Families at play for an hour a day – From walking to gardening, or swimming to shooting hoops, make playful movement a part of your family’s day. To get 60 minutes of moderate activity throughout your day just add 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there.
- Foster a passion for reading – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
For More Information
Champions For Healthy Kids Coalition Members
YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo, City of Kalamazoo, City of Portage, Great Start Collaborative, KVCC, Healthy Food in Schools Committee, Kalamazoo Public Schools, Kalamazoo Nature Center, Bronson Athletic Club, KzooKids, and Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services.
Sponsors of the Family Fit Festival are: City of Kalamazoo, YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo, Denver Mattress, Kalamazoo Public Schools, City of Portage and Bronson’s Children’s Hospital.
About the Champions for Healthy Kids Coalition
Formed in 2010, Champions for Healthy Kids is a community initiative seeking engagement of community leaders to develop and implement polices and environmental changes that improve the health and well-being of children and families in Kalamazoo County. As we seek to improve the health and quality of life, we will work with local partners to help create a culture of active living and healthy eating for all residents.