by Jill P
Spring is the perfect time for the kiddos to be active. There are so many great kids fun runs happening in and around Kalamazoo over the next few months. (You’ll want to check with the specifics of each run to see time, place, and fee to participate). And there are plenty of opportunities for parents to join in with their kids, too! So lace up those tennis shoes and have fun!
(picture courtesy of Kalamazoo Nature Center)
Saturday, April 18 at the Kalamazoo Nature Center, Kids’ Raccoon Run-1K starts at 9:00 am and Earth Day 5K! Run begins at 10:00 am.
- The Raccoon Run for ages 8 and under is a stroller-friendly 1K romp around the Habitat Haven Trail. $10 1K Kids’ Raccoon Run registration fee includes a short sleeve t-shirt (while supplies last).
- This Earth Day 5K Run is a fun and challenging run/walk will feature some of KNC’s most beautiful trails. The course includes steep hills, forest views, and a variety of terrain.
Saturday, April 18 at the Battle Creek Outdoor Education Center. The 1k fun run starts at 9:30 am.
- Race proceeds support the Bearcat Summer Camp Program which allows kids to have fun at day camp.
- Run or walk through forests, up hills, and around fields. Race the one lap 4K, two lap 8K or the 1 mile family fun run. Sign up for one race or multiple events. Registration fee includes cotton short sleeve t-shirt. Register by April 1, 2015 to guarantee correct shirt size. Limited number of shirts available on race day.
Friday, May 1 at Borgess Nazareth Campus on 3247 Gull Road in Kalamazoo. Race starts at 6:00 pm.
- The Meijer Kids Fun Run is a celebration of good health for youth up to age 12. This 1-mile non-competitive event is held at the Borgess Health & Fitness Center.
- The event is free, however registration is required. Participants must sign up by Friday, April 24 to receive a free t-shirt. For children registering after April 24, t-shirts will be available for $5 while supplies last.
Sunday, May 17 from 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm at the Sherman Lake YMCA in Augusta. Starts at 12:00 pm.
- Come out for this fun run which includes over a mile of trails. Maneuver through obstacles, dirt, mud, paint and water. For ages 8-14 and one parent can run with each child for free.
- Each registered youth runner receives a race T-shirt. While you’re at Sherman Lake YMCA, meet the camp staff, play some games and take a camp tour too!
Saturday, May 16 from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm at the Lake Village Homestead Farm in Kalamazoo. 9:30am 5K Trail Run/Walk followed by post-race snack and 10:00am Kids Fun Run and Obstacle Course.
- Lake Village Homestead Farm presents the 2nd Annual Farm Wellness Day and 5K in celebration of the connection between the health of our bodies and minds, and the health of the earth and the animals that inhabit it.
- This event will include a morning warm-up, a 5K trail run/walk, kids’ Fun Run/Obstacle Course, plus farm and garden tours, and visits with farm animals and residents. Visitors may also enjoy local and healthy food sourced from our farm and opportunities to chat with wellness professionals.
Thursday, June 11 from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm at Ft. Custer State Recreation Area in Augusta. 6:30 pm start time.
- Kids at Custer Triathlon offers two courses for ages 6-9 and 10-13. Linear swim course along the shoreline at Eagle Lake. All paved bike course. Combination paved trail and grass run course. The event is chip timed. Kids are guaranteed an event shirt when registered by the deadline and all participants get a finisher ribbon.
Friday, June 19 at 6:00 p.m. at the Maple Street YMCA in Kalamazoo.
- Join the fun at the the Kids’ Klassic, a 1K Fun Run and the Kids’ Klassic 2K Fun Run— both events are open to kids 15 and under.
- On-site registration and t-shirt pick-up is at the Maple St. YMCA from 4:00 – 5:30pm.
(picture courtesy of Binder Park Zoo)
Saturday, June 20 for the FunFari at the Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek. Lemur Lap Kids Fun Run will take place at 8:15 am.
- This event brings the entire family out for a day full of fun activities focused on healthy and active lifestyles for kids. A great feature to FUNfari is the Lemur Lap Kids Fun Run. This non-competitive run is a great way to get kids excited about staying active.
- The Lemur Lap is for kids ages 2 to 10 and begins at 8:15am. Kids FUNfari will be held inside the Zoo from 9:00am to 2:00pm and is included in general admission. Those interested in the Lemur Lap Fun Run can pre-register online at www.binderparkzoo.org.
Thursday, June 25 from 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm at Mayor’s Riverfront Park in Kalamazoo. Stay tuned as more details become available.
- Join the Champions of Healthy Kids Coalition in this FREE community event. Vendors, kids activities, games, mini-farmers market and more! Plus, lots of giveaways. You’ll want to make sure you join the fun!