by Jill P
The holiday season is in full swing! Musicals, ballets, concerts, plays and more are filling up the calendar from here until Christmas. This year, you’ll find a huge variety and something for every age group and interest.
Get your tickets now as many of the holiday performances sell out fast.
*This article has been updated for 2017.
See event listing for details on start times, venue information, ticket price and more.
Let us know if we missed any of your favorites coming up this holiday season by leaving a comment in the section below or adding it to our Event Calendar here.
HOLIDAY SHOWS AND PERFORMANCES
Disney’s The Little Mermaid, photo courtesy of the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre
- Disney’s The Little Mermaid is a big splash of a family musical with eye-popping musical numbers and an award-winning score. The production continues the Civic’s tradition of family-friendly musicals to bring in the holiday season.
- Remaining performance dates: Friday, December 15th at 7:30 pm, Saturday, December 16th at 7:30 pm and Sunday, December 17th at 2:00 pm.
- For over 35 years The new Vic Theatre has delighted audiences with Ted Kistler’s adaptation of Charles Dicken’s classic A Christmas Carol.
- Performance dates: November 17-December 28
- In the Rehearsal Shed (at the Barn Theatre), join the fun as they celebrate the Christmas season with all of your favorite carols and holiday songs. To add to the festivities, we’ll be serving complimentary pie, coffee, and hot chocolate. Perfect for the whole family, this joyous, reflective and heartwarming show is sure to create wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.This special event is not part of any coupon book package.
- Show dates: Weekends from December 8 – 23, Friday shows are at 7pm
Saturday & Sunday shows are at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm
Ballet Arts Ensemble brings the magic and wonder of Nutcracker 2017 to the stage of Kalamazoo’s classic Chenery Auditorium. This community collaboration features:
- Live music by members of the KSO, Daniel Brier conducting.
- Guest performers from the Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus.
- A local cast of more than 100 children and adults.
- Professional dancers from the Cincinnati Ballet and Grand Rapids Ballet in the principal roles of the Prince and the Sugar Plum Fairy.
- Performance dates: Saturday, December 9 at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm and Sunday, December 10 at 2:00 pm.
Single Event Dates
- The beloved TV classic RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER soars off the screen and onto the stage this holiday season. Come see all of your favorite characters from the special including Santa and Mrs. Claus, Hermey the Elf, the Abominable Snow Monster, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius and, of course, Rudolph, as they come to life in RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER: THE MUSICAL.
- Show time: Friday, December 8 at 7:00 pm.
Sounds of the Season, photo courtesy of the KSO
- Join your KSO, Sara Andon and the Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus as we rediscover music from your favorite holiday movies, such as A Charlie Brown Christmas, Elf, Frozen and It’s a Wonderful Life to name a few!
- Performance date: Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 8:00 pm
- The Community Voices ensemble will be performing in the Jolliffe Theatre. Community Voices is Cresendo Academy of Music’s ensemble for teens and adults with mental and physical challenges. This concert is free.
- Performance date: December 14 from 4:00-5:00 pm
- The Eastside Choir will be performing with KCC’s Coro de Niños. A neighborhood choir, rehearsing and performing in the neighborhood, for the betterment and enrichment of all the communities that make up the east side of Kalamazoo.
- Performance date: December 10 at 4:00 pm
- Every December nearly 200 members of the Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus present their annual holiday concert. This year, KCC is at beautiful Chenery Auditorium, where the children will once again raise their voices in “Holiday Cheer.”
- Performance date: Sunday, December 17 at 3:00 pm
photo courtesy of valleyfamilychurch.org
- Celebrate the birth of Jesus this season with everyone’s favorite Christmas comedy sing-along! We’re telling the Christmas story through all of your favorite hits from the ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and now. This FREE Christmas production.
- Show times: Saturday, December 16 at 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm & Sunday, December 17 at 9:00 am and 11:00 am.
Hope you have a joyous holiday season!