by Jill P
It’s beginning to feel like Christmas and we’re lucky to have a great number of shows and performances to get you and your family in the mood for the holiday season.
This is a show and performance round-up of the seasonal and holiday shows that we could find. Make sure that you check out the details of each in this listing to determine the age appropriateness for your family. See event listing for details on start times, venue information, ticket price and more.
Let us know if we missed any of your favorites coming up this holiday season by leaving a comment in the section below or adding it to our Event Calendar here.
FROM OUR SPONSORS
(Mary Poppins, Photo courtesy of the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre)
November 20- December 13 at various times at the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre in Kalamazoo
- The practically perfect Mary Poppins will be flying into town just in time for the holidays. As the magical story unfolds, young Jane and Michael Banks have sent many a nanny packing. Using a combination of magic and common sense, the enchanting Mary Poppins arrives on their doorstep, ready to teach the family how to appreciate each other again. Adventure abounds as she whisks the children away to meet dancing chimney sweeps, shopkeepers and an array of colorful characters.
(Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical, Photo courtesy of Miller Auditorium)
November 25 at 7:30 pm at Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo
- The beloved TV classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer soars off the screen and onto the stage this holiday season. See all of your favorite characters including Santa and Mrs. Claus, Hermey the Elf, the Abominable Snow Monster, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius and, of course, Rudolph, come to life in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical. It’s an adventure that teaches us that what makes you different can be what makes you special.
(Nutcracker, Photo courtesy of the Ballet Arts Ensemble)
December 5 & 6 at Chenery Auditorium in Kalamazoo
- Nutcracker 2015 is presented by Ballet Arts Ensemble and features Guest Professional Dancers performing with the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra. Other participants include the Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus, musicians from the Suzuki Violin Academy and Dr. Raymond Harvey (music director of the KSO) as Mother Ginger.
(Sounds of the Season with the KSO & Jackie Evancho, Photo courtesy of the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra)
December 19 at 8:00 pm at Chenery Auditorium
- Jackie Evancho, will be joining the KSO for its annual holiday extravaganza. Jackie’s fame began in 2010 when she stole the hearts of millions on the hit TV series America’s Got Talent. At 15 she has already wowed audiences across the world with her captivating voice and extraordinary charm. We invite you and your family to be part of an unforgettable evening featuring all of your holiday favorites.
MORE HOLIDAY SHOWS AND PERFORMANCES
Beginning on November 20 at the New Vic Theatre in Kalamazoo
- 36th Annual Production of Ted Kistler’s acclaimed adaptation of Charles Dickens’ holiday classic.
December 4-6 at the Griswold Auditorium in Allegan
- Get into the spirit of the holidays with this Christmas classic. All proceeds given in the holiday spirit to local charities.
December 6 at 4:00 pm at St. Mary’s Church in Kalamazoo
- Let the angel voices of the Eastside Choir of the Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus at beautiful St. Mary’s Church in Kalamazoo get you in the holiday spirit.
December 8 at 7:00 pm at the First Baptist Church of Kalamazoo
- Glorious: A collection of ballet pieces to celebrate and honor the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of Jesus Christ.
December 12 at Comstock Auditorium in Comstock
- The 2nd Annual Holiday Harmony Concerts will take place again this December at Comstock Community Auditorium. Three Kalamazoo-area a-cappella choruses and their quartets will be bringing the spirit and music of the holidays to our guests. Choruses include: the Kalamazoo Mall City Harmonizers Barbershop Chorus; the Plainwell Mid-Lakes Sweet Adelines Chorus; and the Battle Creek Cereal City Barbershop Chorus.
December 13 at 3:00 pm at Chenery Auditorium in Kalamazoo
- The Kalamazoo Children’s Chorus will put you in the holiday spirit with a festive afternoon filled with delightful holiday classics, your favorite carols and lesser-known holiday gems that are sure to become future holiday favorites! What better way to celebrate the season than through song, at magnificent Chenery Auditorium.
December 13 at 7:00 pm at the State Theatre in Kalamazoo
- During his star-making decade, John Berry placed 20 singles on the county hit parade. Join him as he sings classics such as “O Holy Night.” Last year marked his 18th consecutive holiday concert series.
December 19 at 8:00 pm at the State Theatre in Kalamazoo
- Join singer and songwriter Frankie Ballard this Christmas as he plays some of his top hits like; Sunshine & Whiskey, Helluva Life, Young & Crazy and more.
December 20 at 3:00 pm at the State Theatre in Kalamazoo
- As he marks this 19 year tradition from coast to coast, Jim Brickman will showcase new music and holiday favorites.
Hope you have a joyous holiday season!