(photo courtesy of Tara Fletcher Photography)
Now that the kids are back in school, it’s time to start planning all of your favorite fall activities. Nothing gets us in the mood for fall better than picking apples with our family. We’ve put together a listing of U-Pick Apple and Pumpkins Farms and where you can find pre-picked apples or pumpkins.
Note: We recommend calling ahead to the apple orchard to verify that picking is available and what variety is available for picking at the time that you plan to go.
If you’re looking for pre-picked apples or pumpkins, you can also check out our Farmer’s Market Guide to find a local Farmer’s Market where you can find an ample supply this time of year.
Did we miss any of your favorites? If so, please let us know in the comment section below.
9191 West Main Street Kalamazoo | (269) 372-1237
- U-pick at Husted Farm Market will start around September 1st and they generally have 24 types of U-Pick apples available during the season. Honey crisp variety is slated to be available around September 10 this year. They also sell other fall treats such as cider, homemade donuts & pies, caramel apples, and pumpkins. Go on the weekend and catch a hayride for only $2.00.
8619 West ML Avenue Kalamazoo | (269) 375-0153
- Starting Labor Day weekend, VerHage’s Fruit Farm and Cider Mill has a variety of fall activities planned. Beginning mid-September VerHage’s offers U-pick apples and families are welcome to come seven days a week from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. The farm hosts a variety of other activities sure to keep the family entertained – hay rides, pony rides, Andy the Apple Train ride, the Lost Mine attraction. VerHages also has a small animal barn for the kids to check out. Make sure to check the website for their special events including the fall craft Festival and Apple Fest held the end of September.
8544 Gull Road Richland | (269) 629-4214
- Gull Meadow Farms begins their fall extravaganza on September 5th. Look for U-pick apples in early September. Guests can walk through the apple orchard or a tractor-drawn wagon wide is available during the weekends and weeknights (4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.). Make sure to follow Gull Meadow Farms on Facebook for current U-pick apple varieties. Gull Meadow Farms has a number of other activities for the kids in “Pumpkin Lane”. A trip to the farm isn’t complete without a stop to the bakery for fresh donuts and cider.
- NEW for 2015 – the Kalamazoo Balloon Fest is coming to Gull Meadows Farm September 18 and 19. 30 Balloons will be taking to the air against the changing fall trees along with Nighttime Balloon Glows, stage entertainment, and a car show!
13988 County Road 215 Grand Junction | (269) 427-7777
- Stokes Homestead offers a free ride out to their orchards where people can choose from a dozen U-Pick apple varieties and U-Pick pumpkins, too. While there, check out their apple & pumpkin donuts and all kinds of other bakery items plus a full kitchen with breakfast and lunch! For those that don’t mind a little fright, the Shadow Hollow Haunt (a haunted hayride) runs every weekend in October. The times are dusk until 10:00 p.m.
- The 3rd Annual Homestead Fall Festival will be held October 10, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and packed for fall fun for the entire family. The event boasts an arts & craft fair, pumpkin bowling, paint your own pumpkin, caramel apple station, face painting, pedal kart track, live music and so much more. Of course, wagon rides will run through the orchards with stops so you can pick an apple or pumpkin! Check out the website for additional information and pricing.
6054 124th Ave. Fennville, MI 49408 (269) 561-8651
- Crane’s Orchards will open September 5th for U-pick apples. The first crops available are expected to be McIntosh, Gala and Golden Supreme with more varieties as the season progresses. Honey crisp variety will be available September 17th. The Orchard hours are daily 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. End your visit to the orchards with a trip through the 20-acre corn maze or a ride on the cow train.
6017 124th Ave, Fennville | (269) 561-5126
- Fall apple picking starts early September at Gary Crane’s U-Pick Farm. They will have a number of varieties available including Gala and Golden Supreme, Honey Crisp, Jonathan, Empire, McIntosh, Cortland, Jonagold and Fuji. Save some money and make sure to bring your own containers (small, shallow boxes or 1/2 bushel baskets transport fruit best).
- Mid-September through October the farm offers a nice selection of specialty gourds, Jack O’Lantern and Giant Pumpkins.
6405 109th Avenue, South Haven | (269) 236-6312
- Apples and pumpkins galore are available to pick at Overhiser Orchards. There is also a hands-on animal barn with chickens, alpaca, goats, and bunnies along with a corn maze and hayrides to add to the fall fun.
- Hayrides are available between the hours of 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., or by appointment.
60139 County Road 652, Mattawan | (269) 668-3724
- Choose from 20 varieties of apples at Schultz Farms. Make sure to try some of their homemade caramel apples – hand crafted in small batches.
- Apple picking hours are Monday – Saturday 9:00 – 6:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 10:00 – 5:00 p.m.
1850 Friday Road, Coloma | (269) 468-3075
- Located along the shores of Lake Michigan, Jollay Orchards offers a wide array of apples beginning Labor Day. They are open daily from 9:30 – 5:30 p.m. Jump on the hayride out to the apple orchards or pumpkin patch. The farm also features a market with a wide array of treats, jams and Sherman ice cream available. Make a day of it and bring a picnic lunch. Jolly Orchards has a large picnic area set up with picnic tables and charcoal grills.
- Other child-friendly activities available during the weekends include an animal farm, playground, caterpillar crawl and a ferris wheel!
65980 66th Avenue, Hartford | (269) 621-4037
- Big Dan’s offers free wagon rides to the u-pick apple orchards and pumpkin fields on weekends starting September 5th. Wagon rides will continue each weekend until Halloween.
60636 County Road 652, Mattawan | (269) 668-3603
- Check out Westview Farm for their selection of picked or u-pick apples. They also offer apple cider mid-September.
8335 Smith Road, Berrien Center | (269) 815-3370
- Earth First Farms is open for U-Pick for organic apples on fall weekends, generally after Labor Day. The hours are Friday-Sunday from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- At Earth First Farms they grow more than a dozen varieties of organic apples on about 2,000 fruit-bearing trees.
4648 Otto Rd, Charlotte | (517) 543-1019
- Country Mill offers a wide variety of farm products and family-friendly activities such as a petting zoo, Orchard Express train, and haunted attractions in October.
- The Orchard Express Train will give rides beginning September 12th (Saturday and Sunday) from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- They will have around 5 varieties of organic apples (Jonamac, Jonathan, Liberty, Enterprise, Gold Rush) available. U-Pick schedule changes weekly, so always call ahead to verify what is available to pick. Picking begins early September 13 and ends late October. Visit the Orchard Update for the most up-to-date information
- September 19 and 20 Country Mill will host the Michigan Apple Festival – a great time for families to enjoy a walk in the orchard, fresh cider, train rides, crafts and more!
Already Picked Pumpkins
22637 M-43 Kalamazoo | (269) 668-2952
- Gene the Pumpkin Man sells a variety of fall goods such as winter squash, Indian corn, gourds, honey, corn stalks and of course hundreds of pumpkins of all sizes. Open 10 am – 8 pm from mid-September through November 1st.
18725 M-40 Highway Gobles | (269) 628-5401
- Opens for the season September 19th to November 1st.
- Get your pumpkins, gourds, and other fall decor at Harvest Moon Acres or attempt to make it through their 5 -acre giant corn maze. Other attractions include a petting zoo, hayrides, interactive Farmers’ Market and corn bin in the indoor Fun Barn.
- Don’t miss Flashlight Nights at Harvest Moon Acres, every Saturday in the month of October until 10:00 p.m.! Come try the maze in the dark for a different twist – but be sure to bring a flashlight.
24777 County Road 354, Lawton | (269) 299-0369
- Vineyard 354’s theme is “Life’s simple pleasures”. During the month of October, Vineyard 354 offers a variety of pumpkins to pick from, sold by size. Hours are Saturday 10:00 – 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 – 4:00 p.m. The Vineyard offers family fun in the way of hay rides, bounce castle, kiddie train rides and more.
Happy apple picking this season! Be sure to share with us your favorite apple recipes – pie, applesauce, apple crisp?