by Jill P
The 51st Annual Maple Sugar Festival will be held at the Kalamazoo Nature Center Saturday, March 12 and Sunday, March 13. This is always one of our favorite early Spring family events.
Start your day with delicious pancakes smothered in real maple syrup! Walk along a wooded trail with a KNC Naturalist for a maple sugar tour. Experience the amazing Birds of Prey up close along with other LIVE animal programs.
Visit the DeLano Homestead for a horse-drawn wagon ride, a tour of the 1858 farm house, tasty ice cream with maple syrup on top, and a visit with a pioneer sugar maker. Join the Lee’s Hiking Spree and earn a new 2016 medallion for hiking five of KNC’s 13 trails and a special maple leaf medallion for completing a sugaring tour.
KNC’s efforts to be more sustainable are continuing with recyclable and compostable dishes for all food service. Celebrate spring by attending the 51st Annual Maple Sugar Festival! The proceeds from this yearly fundraiser support KNC programs!
Admission to the Kalamazoo Nature Center is $7 for adults, $6 for seniors, $4 for children and students (4-17) and free for children 3 and under. For more information, visit www.NatureCenter.org or call (269) 381-1574 ext. 0.
Additional fees for pancake breakfast.
(photo courtesy of the Kalamazoo Nature Center)
Schedule of Activities
Saturday, March 12 and Sunday, March 13
Activities at the Visitor Center
9 am-5 pm
- 9 am-2 pm * -Pancake Breakfast
- 9 am-5 pm Kids’ activities and crafts
- 9:30 am-4 pm Maple Sugar Tours (tours depart from sundial)
- 10:30 am, 12:30 pm, and 3:30 pm LIVE animal programs featuring a KNC Bird of Prey and other KNC animals
- 2 pm Guided nature hike
- 2-5 pm * Ice Cream and Maple Syrup
Activities at the DeLano Homestead
11 am-5 pm
- Pioneer Sugaring Demonstrations
- Horse-drawn Wagon Rides ($2/person, weather permitting)
- Blacksmithing and Fiber Art Demonstrations
- Kids’ Activities
- Ice Cream with Maple Syrup*
*Additional fees apply for pancake breakfast & ice cream and maple syrup.
Hope you can make it out to this family friendly event!