The following are Memorial Day Parades that our KZOOkids.com readers recommend. There are many more parades throughout SW Michigan and many ways to observe Memorial Day in your community. This is a listing of those highlighted by our readers.
A Thank You To Our Veterans
To our veterans and service personnel, thank you for all that you have done for our country and continue to do. Your sacrifices are noticed and deeply appreciated.
Memorial Day Parades
- Parade begins: Monday, May 25 10:00 am
- Route: Begin Downtown on Michigan Avenue And End on Gull Road in front of the Cemetery.
- Information: Floats, Military Vehicles, Bands, Fire Trucks,
Marching Groups and Many More! with appearances of Veterans of all wars
- Parade begins: Monday May 25 at 10:30 am
- Route: Starting at Boltwood and State streets and proceeding to the Courthouse and continuing to North Broadway, then north to Tyden Park, where a wreath will be placed at the foot of the soldier’s monument.
- Information: Led by the Operation Military Kids contingent. Operation Military Kids is a Legion-sponsored group that provides support for children of deployed military personnel.
- Parade starts: Monday, May 25 at 11:00 am
- Route: Starting from the corner of Anderson and E. Bridge Streets in downtown Plainwell. The parade travels east on E. Bridge St. to Hillside Cemetery where the VFW will perform a ceremony commemorating their fallen comrades.
- Information:Any individual, organization or business is welcome to be a part of the parade. To participate call Chris 685-3152.
Portage Memorial Day Parade
- Parades starts: Monday, May 25 at 10:00 am
- Route: Southland Mall, down Westnedge to the cemetery near the Portage District Library
- Information: Included in the parade will be members of the military, floats, Portage Marching Bands, dignitaries. A memorial will be held at the Cemetery following the parade.
- Parade begins: Monday May 25 at 9:00 am
- Route: The parade route starts at Center Street and Michigan Avenue and continuing to Phoenix Street to Bailey Avenue, then north on Bailey to Lakeview Cemetery where a ceremony will take place around 9:45 am.
- Information: Fire trucks, local pageant winners and much more! At 1pm, there will be a sloppy-joe lunch, free of charge, at the American Legion!
- Parade begins: Friday, May 22 at 12:00 pm
- Route: Parade starts at the intersection of Lake Blvd. and Park St. and travels down Lake Blvd. to the John E. N. Howard Bandshell.
- Information: A parade to honor those veterans who have served this great country of ours and sacrificed their lives to keep our freedom. A short program at the bandshell will be held after the parade. Sponsored by Korean War Veterans of Southwest Michigan, Inc.
Other Interesting Memorial Day Events
- Event begins: Sunday, May 24 from 11:00am – 1:00pm
- Location: USS Silversides Submarine Museum. 1346 Bluff St, Muskegon, Michigan 49441
- Information: The 29th annual Lost Boat Ceremony will be held at the USS Silversides Submarine Museum on Sunday, May 24, 2015. This annual event honors the 52 USN submarines that were lost during WWII and the over 3500 men who are still on “eternal patrol.” The ceremony begins at 11 a.m. with a flyover by a local warbird group, the Hooligans. The ceremony is the perfect balance of celebration of the accomplishments and remembrances of the sacrifices soldiers and sailors made in WWII. The ceremony concludes with the starting of the Silversides’ engines!
Michigan’s Adventure just announced that it will again offer FREE admission to active and retired United States military personnel on Sunday and Monday, May 24 & 25, as a part of its Tribute to the Armed Forces program. The program will be repeated on Thursday and Friday, July 2 & 3. This will be the eleventh year that Michigan’s Adventure has extended the offer of free admission to men and women of the Armed Forces during the Memorial Day weekend and Fourth of July holiday. Immediate family members are offered a special admission rate.