by Robin B
I’m the first to admit, camping has never been ‘my thing’. However, my children have been begging for ages to go camping. Some online research led me to Silver Lake Resort & Campground. Located in Mears, MI, about a 2-hour journey north of Kalamazoo, the campground is a scant 1 mile from the lake and the sand dunes. Family-owned, with around 20,000 visitors each year and consistently 5-star reviews, I needed to find out more about Silver Lake! I spent some time chatting with Don Tucker, owner, about what makes Silver Lake Campground so great and families returning year after year.
Don says Silver Lake Resort & Campground employs what he calls a “hotel approach” (I like the sound of that already!!) The front desk staff provide concierge services and can help you plan all or part of your trip while at Silver Lake. For example,
- Canoeing on your bucket list? Let the staff arrange an adventure at Happy Mohawk Canoe Livery located in nearby Montague on the White River.
- Have a foodie in the family? Ask the staff about the downloadable Foodie Map they have to scout out all of the best ‘eats’ in the area.
- Interested in more on-the-go exploring? Silver Lake Resort & campground offers a 3-day planned itinerary that includes a lighthouse visit to Little Sable Point Lighthouse and Country Dairy tours to name a few.
Silver Lake Resort & Campground is able to customize attractions based on your interest. And, if relaxing and ‘hanging out’ is more your speed, you’ll do it in style!
- Travelers can reserve a spot in advance using the convenient online reservation system. They offer full hook-up sites as well as standard and loft cabins.
- While staying at the campground visitors can enjoy the onsite heated swimming pool, playground, picnic area, volleyball and a small pond for fishing – remember to bring your fishing poles. If you forget, they sell kids poles as well!
- The bathroom facilities are very nice.
Events This Summer
A great summer kick-off is the annual S.O.S. (Start of Summer) event, held this year on Saturday, June 11th. The celebration offers a number of activities sure to get everyone in the summer spirit. A family 5k run/walk/bike, scavenger hunt, food and a live DJ. The day winds down with movie night on a large movie projection screen.
The 4th of July holiday offers a number of sizzlin’ summer activities that will keep the family busy – and several opportunities for firework displays on property and nearby.
Packages & Specials
Silver Lake Campground offers a variety of packages & specials that are sure to please even the pickiest family member. Make sure to check out the Specials page to view options for combined camping and activities such as dune rides, buggy rides, jeep tours and even a stop to Michigan Adventure.
For More Information
1786 North 34th Ave.
Mears, MI 49436