by Jill P
Spring Break will be here soon and we are excited for all of the fun things happening in our area.
If heading to warmer climates or a family vacation elsewhere is not in the cards, we have tons of ideas for family-friendly fun during Spring Break right in our own area. Who knew Kalamazoo and SW Michigan would be the place to be this Spring Break 2017?
Our KZOOkids Spring Break Staycation guides includes FREE or cheap ideas, something new to do, and great “worth the drive” options that you’ll want to explore with your family.
Check back often as we will be continuing to add ideas and events to this Spring Break Staycation Guide.
Note: please verify the dates and times of your activity before you go, as venues may change their schedules. Also, note that some of the activities listed require advance registration or have limited availability.
Free or Super Cheap
1. Grab the picnic basket and the kids and head out to one of these 10 best picnic spots.
3. Kingdom Sports has drop in soccer Monday through Friday from 1-3pm over Spring Break for $5/person.
4. Check out the Hands-On Happenings: Heroes and Villians at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum.
5. Hop over to Art Hop. We love this FREE event held the first Friday of each month. It’s a great opportunity to check out local artists and explore Downtown Kalamazoo.
6. Visit the Kalamazoo Public Library, where there are a great number of special events during Spring Break. Some of our favorites include the Western Dance Project, the Binder Park Zoomobile, and Rockin’ Rovers. Tickets are required for some of their events, so register early to make sure your seat is reserved.
7. Ice cream! Head out to one of our readers’ favorite ice cream spots.
9. Visit the Park! Head out to one of our readers’ favorites with 9 Great Toddler-Friendly Parks in our area.
10. Attend a Home Depot Workshop where you can build a bunny basket.
11. Check out Klassic Arcade in Gobles for an old-fashioned day of arcade fun. Play all day for just $5 per person. From April 3 – April 6, Klassic Arcade will be open from 5:00 – 9:00 pm each day.
12. Have a kiddo that loves puppets? Join the Puppet Show by Alex and Friends! at the Portage District Library.
13. Attend the 90 Years of Sustaining the Vision/Open House at the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary and enjoy free admission plus a spring walk at the Sanctuary in celebration of W.K. Kellogg’s birthday.
15. Build a Fairy House with Your Family at the Portage District Library. Advance registration is required.
16. Find Easter eggs during the Centerpoint Church Community Easter Egg Hunt.
Something New To Do
17. Sign your kiddos up for one of the great Spring Break Camps in our area. There’s such a great variety including: science, acting, arts, and nature camps. There’s something for everyone!
18. Be a tourist in our own town. Visit the Gilmore Car Museum.
19. Your kiddos will feel like royalty at the Henderson Castle Princess Tea. Get your tickets ahead of time for their April 9th Princess Tea.
21. Jump over to Sky Zone Kalamazoo to burn off some energy.
22. Consider a visit to the Air Zoo if you haven’t been in a while. They offer some great exhibits and rides that can make for an afternoon full of education and fun!
23. Head over to Airway Fun Center for tons of family fun.
24. You’ll want to attend the Joe Reilly Concert on March 30. Joe Reilly’s music is a joyful celebration of the gift of being alive! He is a favorite at Earth Day celebrations, and he’s the official Troubadour of National Get Outdoors Day. His songs will make you think, laugh, and get the sap flowing at the edge of spring!
25. Join the Beginning Birding Seminar at Wolf Lake Hatchery on April 8. Learn how to identify birds in the field using size, shape, song, field marks, behavior, habitat and more!
RELATED: Mess Free Playgrounds
photo courtesy of Tara Fletcher Photography
26. Join the Kalamazoo Wings for their Fan Appreciation Night! The last regular season game of the year features great giveaways, including a team poster, as well as other opportunities to win great prizes throughout the night. Stay tuned for our Slappy’s Biggest Fan Giveaway for a great fan experience.
27. Head up to Craig’s Cruisers for loads of activities that your kids will love. Get one of their Spring Break wristband specials.
28. Looking to stay local? Why not get a room at the Radisson for a little getaway!
29. Create your own tropical paradise, moonlit cruise or “trip” to Disneyland at Art Bayou over Spring Break! Art Bayou has all kinds of figurines, boxes, banks, platters etc. to customize your dream staycation keepsake. Fun family times without the burn!
30. Splash a little creativity into your Spring Break fun! Join Happy Our Art April 4 & 6 for crafts, painting and fun! Paint and Play for preschoolers & parents runs from 10:00 am-12:00 pm for $15/kids and $20/parents. Open Studio for Elementary and middle school students runs from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm for $20/person. Tweens and Teens runs from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm for $25/person.
31. Try a new ethnic restaurant in our area. Experience global cuisine while staying right here in Southwest Michigan.
32. Invest in a family membership to one of our local museums or zoo.
33. Build-a-Box Nestwatch Workshop at the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary.
34. Visit the newly opened Chick-fil-A in Portage and let the kiddos run around the play area.
35. Attend a great show! The WIZ will be running April 7-22 at the WMU Theatre Department.
36. Plan to visit Kalamazoo’s new virtual reality arcade, NOVA VR.
Worth the Drive
37. Check out the Frederick Meijer Gardens Butterflies are Blooming exhibition in Grand Rapids. Nothing says Spring like seeing the 7,000 butterflies in full bloom.
38. The Grand Rapids Children’s Museum is your Spring Break destination! Join them from April 2nd through 10th for a week of music, dance, magic, and dinosaurs!
- 4/1: Silly songs with Randy Kaplan at 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm
- 4/2: Sing along with Molten Lava Schneider at 2:00 pm
- 4/3: Magic with Maciek at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
- 4/4: The Porters perform at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
- 4/5: TBA
- 4/6: Illusionist The Mystic Prince at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm and interactive dance with Laura Armenta at 6:00 pm during Family Night.
- 4/7: Drumming with Josh Dunnigan at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
- 4/8: TBA
- 4/9: No Outlet Improv Troupe at 2:00 pm
40. Check out a nearby indoor water park. See our Indoor Waterpark Guide we published a few weeks ago. You’ll want to make your reservation now as space fills up fast over spring break.
41. Want out of town fun within a few hours drive of Kalamazoo? Check out these hotels that are close to home.
42. LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Michigan is a fun place for the LEGO-lover in your family. Featuring millions of LEGO bricks and themed exhibits including a 4D cinema, two interactive rides, large soft play areas and much more.
44. Want a Spring Break Trip that’s 2.5 to 5 hours drive from Kalamazoo? See our Spring Break Road Trip Guide for some awesome ideas.
45. If you haven’t visited the Grand Rapids Downtown Market, it’s worth the trip. Some of our favorites include Slows Bar B Q, Madcap Coffee, and Love’s Ice Cream.
46. Thinking about Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City? See our 4 Tips For A Great Adventure.
Have a great Spring Break! Hope your kids have a great vacation!
PIN THIS FOR LATER