by Julie S
Memorial Day Weekend kicks off Kalamazoo’s summer fair and festival season. There are so many to list, be sure to check out some of the favorites below with your family!
Check back for updates throughout the summer as more information becomes available.
(Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show and Balloon Festival)
- FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, Grand Rapids. June 3-5. Music, dance, theatre arts and much more. More than a dozen food vendors with ethnic specialties.
- KALAMAZOO GREEK FESTIVAL, Kalamazoo. June 2-4. Food, dancing, live music and a kids’ tent full of activities.
- DO-DAH PARADE, Kalamazoo. June 4 at 11:00 am. Parade where anything goes and goofiness abounds!
- BATTLE CREEK’S CEREAL CITY FESTIVAL, Battle Creek. June 11 from 8:00-10:00 am. Eat cereal from one of three cereal companies in Battle Creek at the World’s Longest Breakfast Table. Entertainment on stage and pictures with Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam.
- BUTTERMILK JAMBOREE, Delton. June 11. Three days of music and arts. Rustic overnight camping, workshops, food and vendors and a dedicated area for kids and teens with performers and crafts.
- VICKSBURG OLD CAR FESTIVAL, Vicksburg. June 10-11. Free admission. Special guest cars, arts and craft show, and entertainment.
- 59TH ANNUAL WATER FESTIVAL, Three Rivers. June 16-18. Carnival rides, an arts & crafts show, a turtle derby, pet shows, rodeos and lots of fun food options.
- HARBORFEST, South Haven. June 16-19. Free event with activities such as dragon boat races, craft and food fair, live music and mini carnival rides.
- KALAMAZOO FAMILY FIT FESTIVAL, Kalamazoo. June 16. Come explore new activities and wellness activities in the area. This is a FREE community event. Hop over the the Kalamazoo Farmers’ Market-Night Market while you’re there.
- KALAMAZOO ISLAND FESTIVAL, Kalamazoo. June 16-18. Over 40 craft booths from all over the world, 20 restaurants and live music all weekend long.
- KALAMAZOO IRISH FESTIVAL, Kalamazoo. June 17-18. Entertainment includes music, Irish step dancers, a kilt contest and contests for the greenest eyes, reddest hair and most freckles. See Liam the Extra Large Leprechaun too!
- JAPANESE ANIMATION FILM & ART EXPO, Grand Rapids. June 24-26. Local artists, educational seminars and the latest anime, especially great for teens!
- BATTLE CREEK FIELD OF FLIGHT AIR SHOW AND BALLOON FESTIVAL, Battle Creek. June 29-July 3. Daily hot air balloon launches, air shows, carnival rides and games, balloon illumination and fireworks. Also has a special Kids Day.
(photo courtesy of Kindleberger Arts – Summer Festival & Concert Series)
- KINDLEBERGER FESTIVAL, Parchment. July 6-10. Annual family musical production and youth play. Car show, arts and crafts day, 5K race and Kids Fun Run, parade and kids’ area.
- KALAMAZOO BLUES FESTIVAL, Kalamazoo. July 7-9. This year’s festival features three days of fantastic blues, including local favorites and regional and national touring acts.
- BLACKROCK MEDIEVAL FESTIVAL, Augusta. July 9-August 7, Weekends only at Olde World Village. Live shows, jousting, music, vendors, food, kids’ activities and face painting. Perfect for your little knight or princess. Children 12 and under FREE.
- CELERY FLATS MUSIC FESTIVAL, Portage. July 10 from 12:00-4:00 pm. Admission: Donation to the Friends of the Parks. An afternoon of bluegrass and Americana music outside.
- COLON MAGIC FESTIVAL, Colon. July 20-23, 2016. Magic camp, evening shows, strolling magicians, live music and an arts & crafts fair.
- PAW PAW DAYS CLASSIC CAR & TRUCK SHOW, Paw Paw. July 22-23. Car show with over 200 cars. Food vendors, kidZone, arts and crafts and sidewalk sales.
- GRAND HAVEN COAST GUARD FESTIVAL, Grand Haven. July 29-August 27. Parades, fireworks, dancing, ship tours, a car show and carnival rides.
(Kalamazoo County Fair)
- RIBFEST, Kalamazoo. August 4-6. Three days of food, entertainment and fun.
- NATIONAL BLUEBERRY FESTIVAL, South Haven. August 11-14. Blueberry pie eating contests, a craft fair, kids’ activities, music, a parade and more.
- KALAMAZOO COUNTY FAIR, Kalamazoo. August 8-13. Free grandstand entertainment, farm animals, Kids Zone, educational displays, carnival rides, games and food. Special themed days.
- KALAMAZOO SCOTTISH FESTIVAL & HIGHLAND GAMES, Kalamazoo. August 27 from 9:00am-4:00pm. Magic, traditional Scottish games, reenactments, weaving, face painting, fairy crowns, border collie show, and a special Children’s Field at Flesher Field.
(National Blueberry Festival, photo courtesy of South Haven Chamber of Commerce)