by Jill P
November Is Here!
November is here and we’re sneaking up on the holidays! There are several things to do this weekend to get you in the mood or ready for the holidays. Let the fun begin!
See individual listings for times, pricing, and venue information.
For this weekend, consider…
Holiday Related Events
- Giant cold air balloons, marching bands, unique floats, and holiday themed units will entertain nearly 30,000 spectators expected to view the annual Kalamazoo Holiday Parade. Plus, make sure that you stick around for more activities happening in downtown Kalamazoo after the parade for a dance party, crafts at the library, and for more activities on the mall. (See our full article that we published earlier this week with all the details). FREE.
Celebrate The Gift of Touch at the KVM | November 14 from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm | Kalamazoo Valley Museum in downtown Kalamazoo
- Create gifts that will not only touch the heart, but offer a tactile experience for both the maker and the receiver. Follow the Holiday Parade to the Museum and create a variety of gifts from wood, paper, plastic, fabric, yarn, and more. FREE.
Author Chris Van Allsburg presents The Polar Express, 30th Anniversary | November 15 at 2:00 pm at the WMU Little Theatre
- Join the Bookbug in welcoming the beloved author/illustrator CHRIS VAN ALLSBURG for the release of the loved classic THE POLAR EXPRESS. All tickets include signed copy of The Polar Express 30th Anniversary Edition. Ticket cost is $30. What a great opportunity for fans of this book!
Arts Related Opportunities
Art Detectives | November 14 at 10:00 am | Kalamazoo Institute of Arts in Kalamazoo
- Hear a story about art, look at art in the KIA galleries, and do an art project at Art Detectives, the Meader Fine Arts Library’s program for kids age 4 to 8. This month the program is “What’s My Line,” and we will do an activity about line in art in our Flowers in Chinese Art show and do a line project in the Kirk Newman Art School. FREE.
Crybaby Concert | November 14 at 11:00 am | Portage District Library in Portage
- Don’t miss our next Crybaby Concert with the WMU Graduate Brass Quintet at Portage District Library. The fun begins at 11:00 am on the lower level of the library. Bring the family – it’s FREE! Be sure to share this with any friends or family looking to spend a musical morning with their little ones!
Center Stage Theatre presents Aladdin Jr. | November 13 & 14 at 7:30 pm and November 15 at 2:00 pm | Center Stage Theatre in Comstock
- Join all of your favorite characters from the hit Disney film! Aladdin, Jasmine, Jafar, the Genie, and more – are here in Disney’s Aladdin JR., a musical adventure filled with magic, mayhem, and flying carpet rides. Tickets are $12 adults, $10 students.
Kalamazoo Junior Symphony Performance | November 15 at 4:00 pm | Chenery Auditorium in Kalamazoo
- World-class violinist Rachel Barton Pine joins the KJSO for Brahms’ magisterial Violin Concerto, in collaboration with the Michigan Festival of Sacred Music. Tickets are $15 adults, $10 seniors, & $5 students
Holiday Shopping Options
There are a lot of opportunities to get a jump start on your holiday shopping:
Annual Holiday Bazaar | November 13 & 14 | Ladies Literary Association
Mattawan Holiday Extravaganza | November 14 | Various businesses in Mattawan
Holiday Market | November 14 | Richland Area Community Center
Portage Northern Huskies Holiday Craft and Gift Show | November 14 | Portage Northern Dog House (the auxiliary building next to Portage Northern High School).
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?