by Jill P
You’ll want to stay in town to check out some of the fun family events happening around Kalamazoo this weekend. There are so many events, in fact, that you’ll want to check out our full Event Calendar for all of the area happenings.
For this weekend, consider…
FOR THIS WEEKEND
(courtesy of the KIA- A 2014 award winner: A City in Wealth and Destitution, by Skylar Sparks of Comstock)
Friday, April 24 from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts in Kalamazoo.
- Kalamazoo Institute of Arts’ 34th annual High School Area Show will be Friday, April 24, 5:30 – 7:30 pm. An awards ceremony is set for 6:30 pm. The evening is free and open to the public.
- The show will exhibit 90 works of art juried from submissions by artists in grades 9-12 from Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph and Van Buren counties, in a variety of mediums, including glass, 2-D, 3-D, video, ceramics, metal, and jewelry.
Saturday, April 25 from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm at the Portage District Library in Portage.
- The Kalamazoo Astronomical Society will bring astronomy to the people by hosting a day of exciting and informative activities at the Portage District Library. This free event, aimed at the general public, including families with school age children, is intended to widen knowledge and appreciation of science, particularly of astronomy.
- Activities will be held from 11am – 4pm. These include solar observing, educational and informative displays, hands-on activities for children, our Ask the Astronomer booth, and special showings of the documentaries “Saving Hubble” and “The Year of Pluto.”
Saturday, April 25 from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm at the Celery Flats Historic Area in Portage.
- This family-friendly Earth Day festival is open to all and includes live music, exhibits, games and giveaways such as seedlings. Food will be available for purchase. Numerous local vendors and organizations will be present. The event provides opportunities to become more ecologically friendly. FREE.
Sunday, April 26 starting at 4:00 pm at the 4:00 pm at the Chenery Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- The Kalamazoo Junior Symphony will be performing the following: Shostakovich Suite from The Gadfly, Waxman Carmen Fantasy, with Concerto Competition winner Zachary Brandon, and Williams Star Wars Suite
- The concert opens with performances by the KJSO Piano Trio and KJSO String Quartet.Tickets are available at the door.
MORE EVENTS FROM OUR SPONSORS
AppleTree Otsego – Friday, April 24 – 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Gilden Woods Kalamazoo – Friday, April 24 – 5:30 – 7:30 pm, and Gilden Woods Portage – Saturday, May 2 – 10:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- Games, prizes, food, and fun! Bring your family and friends to our Spring Carnival. It’s FREE to attend. Come see how we make learning fun at AppleTree and Gilden Woods!
Saturday, April 25 starting at 2:00 pm at the Bookbug in Kalamazoo.
- Beloved illustrator David Small and his well-intentioned, well-heeled and (now) well-loved Glamoupuss will be in-store celebrating the spirit of glam and the bow wow-factor of friendship. Costumed activities included, of course.
April 26 from 12:00 pm -2:00 pm at the Richland Campus of The Montessori School in Kalamazoo.
- Join us for our April Open House at the Richland campus of The Montessori School! Explore our classrooms, meet our teachers, and discover what makes this community so special. We are enrolling children ages 2 years 9 months through 12 years old for the 2015-2016 school year. Tell your friends, family, and neighbors. We’d love to share the gift of Montessori with them.
MORE FUN EVENTS
Plus, make sure you check out our family fun Earth Day Events article for lots of fun ways to celebrate Earth Day this weekend.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?