by Jill P
Happy Holidays! Christmas is just a few weeks away and there are a lot of fun activities happening in our area. For this weekend consider…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Did you see our 10 Free or Cheap Things to Do Around Town Before Christmas? We posted this article on Thursday and have a lot of great ideas of things that are happening this weekend only. Make sure to check it out! You won’t want to miss some of these free or cheap events.
Saturday, December 13 from 8:30 am – 10:30 am or Sunday, December 14 from 11:00 am – 1:30 pm at Fetzer Center on WMU campus in Kalamazoo.
- Enjoy a festive lunch with your family and watch the smiles on your little ones faces as they have their personal visit with Santa. Avoid the long lines at the mall— take the time that your child needs to talk with Santa. There is never a problem with photos, you can take as many as you like! For more information call (269) 387-3232. Seating is limited. Reservations required. See our Event Calender for more information on pricing and times.
Sunday, December 14 from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the DeLano Homestead of the Kalamazoo Nature Center in Kalamazoo.
- Bring your family and friends to the beautifully decoratedDeLano Homestead for a step back in time. Join the 1800’s-style celebration and holiday traditions.
- Make gingerbread cookies and crafts
- Listen to live music in the parlor
- Stroll to the 1830s log cabin replica
- Try your hand at candle making
- Take a horse-drawn wagon ride (weather permitting)
- Warm up with cider and a cookie
- Watch skilled spinners, weavers, and blacksmiths demonstrate their craft
- Normal admission prices apply. Free to members.
Saturday, December 13 with performances at 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm at Paw Paw High School Auditorium in Paw Paw.
- See this performance of a holiday classic performed by the students from the Excel Dance Center. Tickets are still available at the door.
Sunday, December 14 starting at 3:00 pm at the Chenery Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- Tickets for the Sunday, December 14, 2014 Holiday concert, “Imagine… Peace” at Chenery Auditorium are just $10 each and are available through Brown Paper Tickets.
Sunday, December 14 with performances at 1:00 pm, 2:30 pm, and 4:00 pm at the Ladies Library Association Building in Kalamazoo. Tickets area still available for the 4:00 pm show only.
- A mini performance of Nutcracker, complete with treat bags-perfect for families with younger children.
There’s plenty of opportunities to pick up something local if you’re planning on shopping this weekend. Here’s a listing of some of the area events taking place this weekend:
- Jingle Bash Holiday Arts & Crafts Show at Kellogg Arena on Saturday, December 13, $1 entry fee.
- Buy Local Art & Gift Fair at the Kalamazoo Nature Center on Saturday, December 13, free.
- Christmas Expo & Craft Show at the Kalamazoo Expo Center on Saturday & Sunday, December 13 & 14, free.
OTHER FUN IDEAS
See our Santa Sightings Guide for a HUGE listing of events. There are a ton of places to see St. Nick this time of year and many of them are free.
MORE FUN EVENTS FROM OUR SPONSORS
Friday, December 12 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm at Bookbug in Kalamazoo.
- He’s BAAACK! Author Jonathan Rand will be at Bookbug signing books and spooking young fans with his much-loved Michigan and American Chillers. Choose any stack of your favorites for him to sign to you and be sure to check out his latest title: THE INCREDIBLE IVY OF IOWA!
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?