by Jill P
This is one of the BIGGEST weekends of the year for family friendly events. There’s so many events happening this weekend that we had a hard time limiting our Weekend Picks. Make sure you check out our Events Calendar for this weekend.
For this weekend consider…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Friday, December 5 from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm around Kalamazoo. Plus, make sure that you check out the other locations that have been added to the Art Hop event.
- A free event held on the first Friday of every month, Art Hop is an evening of art exhibits and events; one of the great things to do in Kalamazoo. It’s fun, interactive and a great way to explore downtown that you can do alone, with friends or family, and you don’t have to be “artist” to enjoy it! See the December Art Hop Brochure here. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, December 6 from 12:00 pm -2:00 pm at Bronson Park in Kalamazoo.
- TIS THE SEASON! This year’s Candy Cane Hunt promises to be another action-packed family event including hundreds and hundreds of candy canes, arts & crafts, live music and drawings for candy and toy-filled stockings! We’ll also have complementary hot chocolate and coffee. This is a FREE event!
Saturday, December 6 from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Wellspring Theatre in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Featuring arts and crafts, treats, kid-friendly dance performance, and a full-family dance party! Join the Wellspring Dance Company for a fun and energetic celebration of dance, the arts, and kids. Entrance is $10 for adult, $5 for child, free for 2 years old and under.
- 2:00 pm: holiday-themed arts and crafts for all ages. Snacks and punch provided
- 3:00 pm: A kid-friendly, 45 minute performance by the professional Wellspring Dance Company
- 3:45 pm: Get up on stage for a Dance Party for the whole family!
Saturday, December 6 starting at 7:00 pm at City Centre, near the Portage District Library in Portage.
- All area residents are invited to attend the City of Portage annual Tree Lighting and Traditional Holiday Celebration. The event will take place beginning at the City Centre, near the Portage District Library on Saturday, December 6 at 7:00 p.m. where thousands of lights will be illuminated in celebration of the holiday season.
- Participants are invited to follow a horse-drawn wagon, complete with jingle bells and carolers, on the short walk down the Portage Creek Bicentennial Trail to the Celery Flats Historical Area, where the holiday celebration will take place. Holiday music will be provided by Proclamation Brass, a local brass ensemble group and the Portage Northern High School Choir. Join in with the caroling during the walk to Celery Flats. Refreshments will be available at the Hayloft Theatre and the arrival of Santa and Mrs. Claus are sure to put everyone in a festive mood. Hot cider, hot chocolate and coffee will be available at $1 donation per cup outside the Grain Elevator. Proceeds from the sales will benefit area charities.
If your doing your holiday shopping this weekend, there’s plenty of opportunities to pick up something local. Here’s a listing of some of the area events taking place this weekend:
- Holiday Gifts & Greens Sale at the Expo Center
- Holiday Walk and Market at the W.K. Kellogg Manor House
- Holiday Art Sale at the KIA
- Art Hop-See above for full brochure
OTHER FUN IDEAS
Now is the time to take the kiddos to see Santa if you haven’t had a chance yet. See our Santa Sightings Guide for a HUGE listing of events. We’ve just added a few more events to this guide.
Or check out some of the Holiday Lights In & Around Kalamazoo. Let us know if you have any holiday lights places to add to the guide.
MORE FUN EVENTS FROM OUR SPONSORS
Friday, December 5 from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Bookbug in Kalamazoo.
- Bookbug is art-hop happy to welcome artist Rebecca Edmonds and her whimsical, wonderful, hand-sewn holiday crafts. Along with showing and selling her own work, Becky will be offering fabrics and findings to kids to make their own one-of-a-kind bookmark!
Friday, December 5 from 1:00 -5:00 pm at the Little Sprout Boutique in Kalamazoo and Art Hop event starts at 5:00 pm.
- It happens in a moment! One minute you are celebrating the birth of a new baby and the next you are getting them ready to start school. Where does the time go? Everyone warns you that time will fly by but you are so caught up in the day-to-day activities of life that you don’t notice it happening. That’s where Captured In Clay comes in. We work with you to capture that brief moment in time and preserve it forever in a clay tile. MUST have appointment!! And please feel free to call us if you have ANY questions! 269.366.4325
- From 5:00 pm -8:00 pm Dana Brownlow from Captured In Clay will be on site taking hand & foot impressions in clay. Creative and detailed – these tiles make the best gift you’ll ever give. Always a customer favorite!
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?