by Jill P
We’re super excited about all of the great family events and activities around Kalamazoo this weekend. This is one weekend that you’ll want to make sure that you stay in town. Also, check out our full Event Calendar. There’s so much going on that you’ll want to make sure that you know about all of your options.
For this weekend, try one of these events…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Begins on Friday, February 6 with Art Hop and continues on Saturday, February 7 from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum in downtown Kalamazoo.
- The Third Annual Storytelling Festival at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum kicks off on Friday, Feb. 6, during Art Hop, with a musical performance by BenJammin Educational Music and storyteller Karen Libman. The focus of this year’s festival is “Words That Heal.” Together, BenJammin and Analisa Gauthier perform family-centered songs that help kids understand health, conflict resolution, and core subjects with plenty of crowd participation. They will open with a free interactive concert at 6 p.m. Libman follows at 7 p.m. with feel-good stories.
- The festival continues on Saturday, Feb. 7, with hands-on, picture book-based crafts and a vendor fair that runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Local book stores, authors, and literacy-based organizations will be on hand with materials for purchase, sharing how stories heal and promoting the importance of reading, writing, and sharing your own personal stories. The festival is FREE and open to all ages. See full listing for details of the entire events for the day. Also, see Annette H. from the KVM talk about the Storytelling Festival on the Lori Moore Show from earlier this week.
Saturday, February 7 from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm at Oakland Drive Park in Portage.
- A great opportunity to enjoy time with your family and friends, all while embracing the white wonders of Michigan outdoors. There will be many activities to enjoy such as sledding and a snowman building contest! Build, decorate and bring your own cardboard sled! Build and dress up the biggest and fanciest snowman! Prizes will be awarded for best in show for both contests as well as the fastest cardboard sled! Cardboard sled contest begins at 1:00 p.m. with snowman building immediately following. When you need a warm respite from the activities enjoy a bonfire with hot chocolate and coffee available for purchase.
Saturday, February 7 with shows at 2:00 pm & 6:00 at Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- Come Sing-Along to Disney’s Frozen movie on the Miller Auditorium big screen! After the kingdom of Arendelle is cast into eternal winter by the powerful Snow Queen Elsa (voice of Idina Menzel), her sprightly sister Anna (Kristen Bell) teams up with a rough-hewn mountaineer named Kristoff (Jonathan Groff) and his trusty reindeer Sven to break the icy spell. Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee co-directed this Walt Disney Animation Studios production based on Hans Christian Andersen’s beloved fairy tale The Snow Queen.
- Join us in the lobby to meet Once Upon A Princess’s Snow Queen before the movie!
Sunday, February 8 from 11 am – 4 pm at the Radisson in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Join us this Sunday, Feb. 8, at the Kzoo Baby & Family Expo! This super-fun, FREE event includes a bounce castle, music, magic, princesses, exhibits, prizes and more. 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Radisson Plaza Hotel in downtown Kalamazoo. See the full entertainment lineup. Perfect for pregnancy – age 10. Stop by our KZOOkids.com booth to enter one of our fun giveaways. We’d love to chat with you!
Sunday, February 8 starting at 3:00 pm at the Chenery Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- In Justin Locke’s hilarious spin on the original Russian tale, the Wolf stands trial for “Duckicide in the first degree, with one gulp.” With Prokofiev’s original music presented in court as evidence, the Wolf cross-examines individual members of the orchestra on the stand and presents his case to the audience, which also acts as the jury. This lively new introduction to the instruments of the orchestra is like no other version of “Peter and the Wolf” we’ve ever seen. Smiles guaranteed!
OTHER FUN IDEAS
Plus, there’s a ton of Winter Snow Festivals happening this weekend and we have snow the right amount of snow for it, too! Make sure you check out this listing. Some of these events are awesome! Or check out our Try A Winter Sport For Free for info on the snowshoe walks at the Wolf Lake Hatchery.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?