by Jill P
SUMMER FUN PLANNING
We are in the home stretch of summer! We’re working on ideas to help you maximize your summer. Did you see our Take A Tour & Learn Something New! – Tours Around Kalamazoo and Michigan? We’ve done many of these tours and have some on our summer bucket list for this summer yet.
Now that we’re almost into August, we have 10 Free or Cheap Event That You’ll Want To Check Out. There are plenty of fun options for the entire family.
Sign up for our E-News! We have some great summer articles scheduled that you won’t want to miss. To sign-up, click here.
FOR THIS WEEKEND
For this weekend, consider…
(Photo by Joshua Nowicki)
July 31 – August 2 in downtown St. Joseph.
- Head over to St. Joseph for their 19th Annual Chalk the Block and watch as the streets of downtown St. Joseph are transformed into beautiful works of art. During this weekend’s festivities, you will also find sidewalk sales July 30 – August 2 hosted by shops downtown, the Friday Night Concert Series, Farmers’ Market, Antiques on the Bluff, and Movie in the Park. FREE.
August 1 & 2 at Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek.
- Join the fun at the Binder Park Zoo’s 32nd annual Reptile Weekend! One of Michigan’s largest reptile events, Reptile Weekend encompasses a full weekend of fun, entertainment, and hands-on encounters with over 100 different reptiles and amphibians from around the world. Join Binder Park Zoo and the Michigan Society of Herpetologists (MSH) on Saturday, August 1st from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday, August 2nd from 11am to 6pm for this annual event. Normal admission fees apply.
Saturday, August 1 from 10:00 am-5:00 pm at Stokes Homestead Farm Market in Grand Junction.
- Join the fun at the 3rd Annual Blueberry Bash. There a ton of fun activities lined up such as: face paining, bounce house, gem mining, wagon rides, corn crib, tire climb, fishing wall, blueberry dodge ball, and more! Cost is $6 per person.
- Plus, you’ll want to check out their Farm Market for homemade blueberry desserts for the day of the BASH. (Normal prices apply). Use this as an opportunity to do some U-Pick berry picking while you’re there.
Sunday, August 2 at 5:00 pm at Homer Stryker Field in Kalamazoo.
- This is the last weekend of home play for the regular season with the Kalamazoo Growlers and they have lots of fun stuff going on at the Sunday game. It’s both “Fan Appreciation Night” (Growlers prizes and giveaways given out throughout the game) and the rescheduled “Superhero Night”. If your child dresses up as Superhero, they will get in for free!
Plus, you’ll want to check out our Event Calendar for more info on the following:
- USTA Boys’ 18 & 16 National Championships
- 4th Annual Lego Building Contest, Oshtemo
- Waldo Found in Kalamazoo Party
- Red Barns Spectacular Car Show & Swap Meet
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?