by Jill P
SUMMER FUN PLANNING
Congrats to all of the kiddos who’ve made it through a successful year at school. Summer vacation is here! We’re here to help you make it the Best Summer Ever with some great ideas for events and activities around Kalamazoo.
Missed any of our recent articles? We’ve just updated our Summer Planning Checklist to include all of the summer articles that we’ve been working on.
This week we published our U-Pick Berry Farm Guide. There are so many great places around SW Michigan that offer u-pick options. This is a great family activity and one of our favorite things to do during the summer season.
Rainy days are bound to happen during the summer and it seems like we’ve gotten a good stretch of rainy days lately. Heading out to the movies are a perfect rainy day option. We just published our Cheap Summer Movie Options For Kids. Great movies and super cheap!
Plus, now that schools out, it’s time to start planning some family vacations or at least some fun weekend activities. Our readers gave us some great ideas for Great Campgrounds Close To Home.
Sign up for our E-News! We have some great summer articles scheduled that you won’t want to miss. To sign-up, click here.
FOR THIS WEEKEND
There are so many things happening around Kalamazoo and Battle Creek this weekend. I encourage our readers to check out our full EVENT CALENDAR for tons of options. Our Weekend Picks are always just the tip of the iceberg of activities and events happening in our area.
For this weekend, consider…
Friday, June 12 from 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm in downtown Battle Creek.
- The parade to celebrate the Cereal City’s history begins at 6 pm! Free to all, the parade takes place downtown on Michigan Avenue froim Gould Street to Division Street.This is the kick off event for the Cereal City Festival.
Saturday, June 13 starting at from 8:00 am -2:00 pm in downtown Battle Creek.
- Join the 2015 Cereal City Festival! Featuring the “World’s Longest Breakfast Table”, (breakfast served 8:00 am – 10:00 am) on West VanBuren Street from Washington Avenue to Tompkins Street. There will be vendors, entertatinment, and activities for the children until 2:00 pm.
Saturday, June 13 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm in downtown Vicksburg.
- Friday evening join the fun with a cruise in from 6:00 – 10:00 pm. Saturday is Old Car Show on the Downtown streets of the Village of Vicksburg. Special guest cars, entertainment people choice car judging, Clark Park Arts and Craft Show, Antique Gas and Steam Engine Show, “Tin Can Tourists” antique camper and trailer display and special events at the Historic Village park.
- Event takes place and main four corners of downtown Vicksburg. A great family activity that has free admission. Enjoy a great day and event in a small town dedicated to having fun!
Saturday, June 13 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at the Portage District Library in Portage.
- Celebrate summer with the Portage District Library. There will be face painting, crafts, bubble fun (10-11:30), an egg drop competition (11-12:30), scavenger hunts and more! Be sure to visit our special guests, the Strykeforce Robotics Team, and don’t miss the annual mini book sale. There’s something for everyone at this all-ages event! No registration required.
Plus, there’s a ton of fun things that are happening around town this weekend. Some of these include the following: the kick-off of the Parade of Homes in Kalamazoo, the Fantasy Forest at Leila Arboretum in Battle Creek, the Ultimate Air Dogs & Dog Show at the Kalamazoo Expo Center, and the Concerts in the Park in Kalamazoo. Plus, remember it’s free fishing weekend. All fishing license fees are waived for two days and there are some free fishing events on our event calendar.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?
Have a great June weekend!