by Jill P
Spring is here! March 20th is the first day of Spring and we couldn’t be more ready. Although it’s going to be a little chilly this weekend, you’ll still want to get out and enjoy the sunshine! There’s plenty to do and see this weekend around Kalamazoo. You’ll want to make sure that you take a look at our Event Calendar, too!
For this weekend, try one of these events…
FOR THIS WEEKEND
Friday, March 20 at 7:30 pm and Saturday, March 21 at 1 pm at the University Theatre-WMU in Kalamazoo.
- Witness two unlikely comrads as they embark on a heartwarming adventure to discover what it means to be a true friend. Bring the whole family to this childhood favorite and experience together this simple and touching tale where one is taught that “A good life is much more important than having a long life.”
- Families are invited to join us for free crafts and face painting one hour prior to the performance! Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to showtime to participate.
Saturday, March 21 from 9:00 am-5:00 pm & Sunday from 9:00 am-4:00 pm at the Expo Center in Kalamazoo.
- 40th annual event with over 10,000 re-enactors from the French & Indian War through the Civil War are featured along with the finest craftspeople, dealers and history buffs from across the Nation. Admission: Adults $7 for 1-day pass, $10 for weekend pass. Children under 12 are free.
Saturday, March 21 from 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm at Kellogg Forest in Augusta.
- Celebrate winter with a wagon ride to the sugar bush and guided tours. At ‘Maple Manor,’ enjoy children’s activities including face painting, creating tree cookie medallions and playing a traditional game. Taste fresh syrup made right at Kellogg Forest and purchase some to take home.
Spring movies still continue this weekend!
Flick’s Family Film Fest at Celebration Cinema Is playing Book of Life this weekend. Flick’s Family Film Festival returns February 27th through April 23rd with eight family-friendly titles! For each film, all regularly scheduled showtimes are free for kids 12-and-under and just $5 for adults.
Free Spring Movies at Kalamazoo 10 is playing Book of Life. Every Saturday and Sunday at 9:00 A.M. and 10:00 A.M. see a select movie for FREE! All ages are welcome and free of admission. ***PLAYING AT ALL GOODRICH QUALITY THEATER.
Friday, March 20th at 7:00 pm, Saturday, March 21st at 11:00 am & 2:00 pm, and Sunday, March 22nd at 2:00 pm at Farmers Alley Theatre in Kalamazoo.
- This bedtime story that has been cherished by generations for over 60 years has now been turned into a full-scale musical production that kids of all ages will enjoy. We all know that Bunny wants to put off going to bed for as long as possible as he says goodbye to every object in sight. Now a world of imagination is in store for you as Bunny’s bedroom springs to life and we encounter dancing constellations, the cat in the fiddle, and of course, the cow jumping over the moon.
- This timeless tale has entertained for more than half a century, and now it is your opportunity to share it in a whole new way with the child you love. Appropriate for ages 3 and up.
(Climbing tower at Sherman Lake YMCA: photo courtesy of Sherman Lake YMCA)
Sunday, March 22 from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm at Sherman Lake YMCA in Augusta.
- Join us for Family Fun Day at Sherman Lake YMCA. Meet our outstanding staff, get answers to all of your Summer Camp questions and take a tour of state-of-the-art camp facilities. See where the Summer Camp Magic happens!
Sunday, March 22 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm at Wings West in Kalamazoo.
- Join us for our first character skate featuring super heroes on ice! We have Batman, Superman and Spiderman skating on the ice at Wings West. Bring your camera to grab pictures with the characters.
OTHER FUN IDEAS
Did you see our Spring Theatre Performances & Shows You Don’t Want To Miss article? There are still several fun shows that happening this weekend that you don’t want to miss. We’ve highlighted just a few of the shows above.
There are some great Mom to Mom sales happening this weekend! Check out our Spring Mom to Mom Sale Round-up for more information. If you are headed to the Mom to Mom sale at Wings Stadium, the ramps at I-94 and Sprinkle Road (Exit 80) are closed due to construction. You’ll want to plan accordingly.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?