by Jill P
Happy May! We’re jumping right into Spring with a lot of fun events happening this weekend! This weekend is yet another weekend that you’ll want to check out our full Event Calendar for all of the area happenings. You don’t want to miss out on any of the fun events and family activities.
For this weekend, consider…
FOR THIS WEEKEND
Friday, May 1 from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm in various locations around Kalamazoo.
- A free event held on the first Friday of every month, Art Hop is an evening of art exhibits and events; one of the great things to do in Kalamazoo. It’s fun, interactive and a great way to explore downtown that you can do alone, with friends or family, and you don’t have to be “artist” to enjoy it! Click here for May’s Art Hop brochure. Who is your favorite artist? Tweet: #arthopkzoo
(courtesy of the Kalamazoo Rock & Gem Show)
Friday, May 1 from 4:00 pm-8:00 pm, Saturday, May 2 from 10:00 am-6:00 pm, and Sunday, May 3 from 10:00 am-5:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Expo Center in Kalamazoo.
- At the show explore and discover the world of rocks, minerals, meteorites and fossils. Pick a gem, select a setting and take home a unique piece of jewelry. Pan for gold, learn about silver smithing, play a game, polish a Petoskey stone, crack open a geode, build a mineral collection, search out fossils, or buy some beads. This year’s theme, ” A World of Agates” will add an extra dimension of interest to the show. Admission: Adults $3, Children under 12 are Free. Scouts, are free when in uniform.
Saturday, May 2 from 7:00 am – 2:00 pm at Kalamazoo Farmers’ Market located at
1204 Bank Street in Kalamazoo.
- Fresh season is here! The Kalamazoo Farmers’ Market has some exciting things in store this season. In addition to over 100 vendors, Saturdays will feature a variety of food trucks offering a wide range of prepared foods as well as entertainment options such as as local musicians and kids activities.
Saturday, May 2 from 11:00 am-1:00 pm at Spring Valley Park located at 2600 Mt Olivet Rd in Kalamazoo Township.
- This FREE family-friendly fishing clinic brought to you by the Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation Department promises to teach you the basics of fishing including techniques and insider tips to the sport of fishing, and necessary gear. Although there will be a limited number of poles available for use, participants are encouraged to bring their own personal fishing poles to the clinic.
- The clinic will go on rain or shine, so come out ready to learn more about this great sport!
Sunday, May 3 from 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm at the Air Zoo in Portage.
- Join WGVU Public Media at the Air Zoo in Portage for a day filled with fun and activities for the entire family, all for just $5 admission per person with your family ticket. Meet Sid The Science Kid from PBS Kids. Doors open at Noon and discount tickets are available at WGVU, Flagstar Bank, and The Air Zoo.
MORE FUN EVENTS
Good luck to all of the kiddos registered to run in the Meijer Kids Fun Run on May 1! Also, good luck to all of the Marathoners participating in the Kalamazoo Marathon this weekend! Hoping you have a successful run.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?