by Jill P
We’re already half way though May and it’s really feeling like Spring!
There’s a ton of fun things happening around Kalamazoo this weekend. The are a lot of fun family events and activities happening this weekend.
This week we’ve included a special “Be Active” section to highlight all of the fun family events and ways for your kiddos to be active this weekend. You’ll want to make sure that you check out some of these super fun events!
For this weekend, consider…
FOR THIS WEEKEND
Saturday, May 16 from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Mayors’ Riverfront Park in Kalamazoo.
- Family Bike Fest is a chance for families, kids, adults and the community to come together during Kalamazoo Bike Week. This event is FREE and no bike is required, but they are encouraged.
- This year we are proud to bring the Thriller BMX Team to perform; you won’t want to miss this show.
- Join us for a group ride, games, activities, and prizes for kids and adults, just for coming out and celebrating bicycling in Kalamazoo. 2015 marks the third year for this event, and it is brought to you by Jessica Tornado, Your Kalamazoo Gal, Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation, community businesses, individuals, and organizations who love Kalamazoo and families. (See event listing for schedule of events).
Saturday, May 16 from 10:00 am -1:00 pm at Ramona Park in Portage.
- Our fifth annual Family Fish Fair is coming up! This is a FREE event and the first 150 kids will receive a free fishing rod after completing a fun and educational program.
- There are many free activities, such as fishing at our shoreline, trying your hand at kayaking courtesy of Lee’s sporting goods, learning about boating safety, discovering our local environment with the Kalamazoo Nature Center, and many other activities. There will be lots of prizes, with the grand prize being a free kayak! We hope to see you there!
Saturday, May 16 at 11:00 am at Bronson Gilmore Center for Health Education in Kalamazoo.
- Crybaby Concerts are FREE 45-minute mini-concerts that give children under the age of five and their family a performance of beautiful music in an open & flexible environment.
There’s plenty of opportunities to get active this weekend. These events are the perfect cure for Spring Fever! Check individual listings for applicable fees for the specific events. Some of our top picks include:
- Spring Bird Hike at Pierce Cedar Creek Institute on Saturday from 8:00 am – 10:00 am. If you’ve never been to Pierce Cedar Creek Institute in Hastings, this is the perfect opportunity to check things out. Bring your binoculars, too.
- Farm Wellness Day 5K on Saturday starting at 9:00 am. Make sure you check out the link for all of the fun activities planned for the day! You can still register on Friday at Gazelle Sports from 3:00-7:00 pm and on site until 9:00 am the day of the run.
- Storybook Hike at Chipman Preserve on Saturday from 1:00 pm- 4:00 pm.The Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy (SWMLC) is excited to host a fun, new outdoor event that takes children on an adventure through nature and through their imaginations.
- Susan G. Komen Kids for the Cure on Sunday from 11:30 am – 3:30 pm. Sign up for the 1 Mile Family Fun Run or the 5K Run/Walk and use the discount code KZOOKIDS15 for $5 off (register here) – race begins at 2:00 pm. Lots of fun stuff in the Kids for the Cure Area including face painting, arts & crafts and kids activities.
- Kids R.O.A.R. – Rogue Obstacle Adventure Race on Sunday starting at 12:30 pm. Come out for this fun run for ages 8-14. which includes over a mile of trails. Maneuver through obstacles, dirt, mud, paint and water. The cost for onsite registration is $20. The registration on the event day is from 11:30 am to 12:15 pm. While you’re at Sherman Lake YMCA, meet the camp staff, play some games and take a camp tour too!
- Ninja Turtle Skate on Sunday from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Ice skating and Ninja Turtles are sure to make this event a hit with the kids.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?