by Jill P
SUMMER FUN PLANNING
We’re here to help you make it the Best Summer Ever with some great ideas for events and activities around Kalamazoo. Our Summer Checklist has links to many of our recent articles. Check it out!
Plus, this week we published our Summer Guide to Festivals and Parades. This list continues to grow as we add more festivals to our listing.
Love free family events and activities? This week we’ve added to our KZOO Kids Facebook page a FREE/CHEAP Family-Friendly Summer Events in greater Kalamazoo “Event”. We’ll be highlighting some of the FREE or CHEAP things to do in the area this summer. If you haven’t joined this yet, you’ll want to check it out. Some events are so cool that you won’t want to leave town!
Sign up for our E-News! We have some great summer articles scheduled that you won’t want to miss. To sign-up, click here.
FOR THIS WEEKEND
Wow! It’s the last weekend of May already. Where did the month of May go? We have some fun family events to consider for this weekend. See our Weekend Picks below.
Friday, May 29 from 8:00 am-5:00 pm, and Saturday, May 30, 8:00 am-3:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts in Kalamazoo.
- The KIA Garage Sale is known for offering antique furniture, home decor, and artwork, along with sporting equipment, electronics, and housewares. The studios and classrooms of the Kirk Newman Art School will be filled with treasures collected over the course of the previous month, which have filled a semi-truck rented for the purpose. All proceeds support the programming of the museum and art school. Admission is free.
Friday, May 29 at the South Westnedge Park in Kalamazoo. Pre-movie activities start at 7:30 pm and movie starts at sun down.
- .Grab the family and a chair or blanket and join us under the stars for our FREE “Movies in the Park” series. Family-friendly activities and games will begin around 7:30 pm and will continue until the movie begins at sunset. Popcorn and snacks will be available for purchase.
Saturday, May 30 from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Haverhill Park in Portage.
- Kids will receive a free bicycle helmet and helmet fitting. Learn about bike safety on the bike obstacle course and have the opportunity to ride a segment of the Northwest Portage Bikeway with Portage.
- Police bike officers! Get a picture with princesses, superheroes and mascots and get “hands on” with a fire truck and police car. Local bike mechanics will be available to “tune up” your ride.
Sunday, May 31 from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Nature Center in Kalamazoo.
- Meet the counselors, check out the new camp facilities, zoom down the giant Slip ‘n Slide, wallow in the mud pit, enjoy the natural play area, make some art, test yourself on the obstacle course, ask a Naturalist your wildlife questions, and meet LIVE ANIMALS. Director Jenny and the 2015 Camp Staff will be on hand to help you get ready for an awesome summer of camp! Admission is free.
Sunday, May 31 with the game starting at 5:05 pm. (Click here for the Kalamazoo Growlers promotional schedule and to see other games for this weekend). Normal ticket prices apply.
- Join the Kalamazoo Growlers on their opening weekend for a Family Fun Day game. Some of the highlights include:
- Carnival Night presented by Housing Resources Inc.
- Porter Poster Giveaway (500).
- Carnival themed games provided by Vertical Edge Entertainment
Plus, remember time is running out to take advantage of the SW Cultural Exchange. This program ends in May. If you haven’t had a chance to take advantage of the program yet, this weekend is the weekend to do so.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?
Have a great weekend!