by Jill P
Happy October! It looks like it’s going to be a nice weekend this weekend. Check out some of these family friendly events happening around Kalamazoo. Consider…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Saturday, October 11 from 1:00 pm -4:00 pm at the Epic Center (lower level) in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Crescendo Academy of Music’s Annual Cafe and Open House will feature performances by Crescendo teaching artists and students; the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra’s petting zoo; food samples from local vendors; demonstration classes and more!
Saturday, October 11 from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum in downtown Kalamazoo.
- This year’s National Chemistry Week theme – candy – is being celebrated at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum with a Hands-On Chemistry Day event. The Kalamazoo Valley Museum and the Kalamazoo Section of the American Chemical Society will host local chemists as they provide yearly favorites as well as a few new treats. Discover how candy keeps its color and how M&M labels stay on. Learn the chemistry behind honeycomb candy, and discover what makes sour candy so sour. Find out how to use Poprocks and Nerds to blow up balloons, and learn what happens to the color of Gobstoppers when they dissolve. So many fun things planned at this Hands-On event.
Saturday, October 11 from 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm at the Bookbug in Kalamazoo.
- Bookbug is joining bookstores and libraries across the country on this day to feel the power of the Force. Star Wars fans, authors, and artists will again come together in this multi-publisher initiative that celebrates reading and Star Wars.
- Bookbug will be hosting a premiere event (including costumed characters and interactive activities) and an exclusive signing with Adam Bray, author of DK’s Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide and DK Adventures: Star Wars: What Makes a Monster?
Saturday, October 11 from 5:15 pm -6:15 pm at Wings West in Kalamazoo.
- Celebrate Girls’ Hockey Weekend with KOHA and their GIRLS Try Hockey For Free event at Wings West on Oct 11th from 5:15-6:15 pm! Visit www.koha.com for details! No experience necessary. Equipment available. Please email email@example.com for information.
Sunday, October 12 from 9:15 am – 3:00 pm (times vary for walk and bike ride-see event listing for details) at the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail and starting a Markin Glen Park.
- Spectacular fall colors…a family bike ride… a fun run/walk… fall activities…the autumn scenery along the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail is a must-see, and the Fall Color Cruise provides the perfect opportunity to experience all of its beauty! We have expanded the event this year to include a fun run/walk to go along with the bike ride, making it unlike any other event in the region!
- 4.5 or 8.5 Mile Bike Ride: Bring your bike and cruise along the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail, enjoying the spectacular fall colors and family-friendly activities along the way. There will be two out-and-back routes, both heading north on the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail from Markin Glen Park toward D Ave.
- 5k Fun Run/Walk: Lace up your running shoes and wind through a wooded setting blanketed in fall foliage for an untimed, fun run/walk along the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail.
FOR THE OLDER KIDS
Saturday, October 11 starting at 11:00 am at the Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Slap on them black pajamas! They say we’re too old to trick-or-treat, so to get our lethal sugar levels up, we’ll be putting on a special ALL-SPOOKY MONSTERS edition of the Cartoon Cereal Party!! Your eyes will devour spectral superstars while your bones get rattled by special Halloween episodes of all of your favorite ‘80s and ‘90s animation obsessions! Forget that you grew up and got a job and started sleeping through weekend mornings…the glory days are BACK! Because we’re gonna bring you a 2 hour attack from the wildest cartoons in the TV Halloween Netherworld while you stuff your face with all-you-can-eat sugary cereal! (See event listing for age policy).
See our Fall and Harvest Event Round-Up for a great number of farms to visit this season and enjoy all of the activities that they have to offer. Our U-Pick Apple/Pumpkin Guide for great ideas on where to go apple picking with your family. Make sure that you call ahead if you plan to pick apples to see what’s available.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?