by Jill P
Happy New Year! Have a bit of cabin fever after being snowed in this week? Here are a few family-friendly ideas of things to do with your family this weekend:
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Friday, January 10 from from 5 pm to 9 pm in Downtown Kalamazoo.
- A free event held on the first Friday of every month, Art Hop is an evening of art exhibits and events; one of the great things to do in Kalamazoo. It’s fun, interactive and a great way to explore downtown that you can do alone, with friends or family, and you don’t have to be “artist” to enjoy it!
Saturday, January 11 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm at the Air Zoo in Portage.
- Calling all aspiring engineers! The Air Zoo and the Society of Women Engineers, Southwest Michigan Section are proud to announce our 2014 Corporate Engineering Challenge! Made possible by a grant from Exxon Mobil and the National Society of Women Engineers, kids of all ages are invited to participate in an amazing day of engineering education at the Air Zoo.
- The day concludes with teams of girls aged 9-13 working with female engineers and competing in an engineering challenge! Who? From 9am to 3pm, boys and girls of all ages are invited to participate in a vari- ety of engineering focused activities at the Air Zoo, all provided by local corpo- rate sponsors. Girls aged 9-13 will have the opportunity partner with practicing female engineers to compete in an engineering challenge!
Saturday January 11 from 10 am to 11 am at the Kalamazoo Nature Center in Kalamazoo.
- Grab a carpet square and hear stories about nature! Interactive tools will be used to get children involved in the stories. We might even have a visit from a live animal! Program concludes with a walk outside (weather permitting).Public Programs Admission: Members: Free Adults: $7, Seniors: $6, Children & Students (4-17) $4, Children 3 & Under: Free.
Sunday, January 12 begins at noon at Timber Ridge Ski in Gobles.
- This special all-day event celebrates families, with the focus on kids 5-12. Our very popular Learn to Ski/Snowboard program begins at Noon on this day with one rate for lift, lesson & rental equipment $35.Other popular Free offerings include: Penguin Slide for kids 5-12, Fun Things to do in Winter for the family, Teach your Tots to Ski for ages 3 & 4, Clowns, Balloons, Face-painting and more.
Sunday, January 12 at 3 pm at the Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- The Moscow Festival Ballet was founded in 1989 when legendary principal dancer of the Bolshoi Ballet Sergei Radchenko sought to realize his vision of a company which would bring together the highest classical elements of the great Bolshoi and Kirov Ballet companies in an independent new company within the framework of Russian classical ballet. The Moscow Festival Ballet will bring the story of Cinderella to life.
- Join us prior to the show at Fetzer Center for a Princess Tea. Bring your princess out for the best tea party in town! Event starts at 1 p.m., reservations are required. Cost is just $15 per person and includes finger sandwiches, dessert, tea and lemonade.
All these of these events and more can be found on the KZOOkids.com calendar.
What fun things will you be doing this weekend?