by Jill Piwko
Spring is in the air! We’ve got a longer list than usual this week for our Weekend Picks~lots of fun stuff happening around the area this weekend. For this weekend, consider…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Friday, May 16 from 6:30 pm to 8:300 pm at the Maple Street Branch of the YMCA in Kalamazoo.
- This event is free for all families, so go ahead and invite friends, family, even a neighbor. We have lots of activities going on including; family zumba, quickstart tennis, crafts, open swim, charades, and open gym time with Buster Bronco and Barley Bear. Also come see what our special guest have to offer. Our guests include; Kalamazoo Literacy Council, MSU-Extension, Kalamazoo Public Library, Peoples Food Co-Op, Fresh Food Fairy, Tri-blade Fencing Academy, Simply 8, Chartwells, Kalamazoo Growlers, and many more.
Saturday, May 17 from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Ramona Park in Portage.
- This free community event offers various activities for all ages and abilities, so bring the whole family out to experience the joys and lifetime benefits associated with fishing, boating and aquatic conservation. Whether this is your first time, or you are a fair weather fishing fan, the Family Fishing Fair is sure to bring smiles and good times!
- Fishing equipment loaners will be on hand for those hoping to reel in their first (or next) catch of the day…no experience necessary as local fishing guides and experts will be on-site to provide all the guidance you need. Activities include lure making, knot tying, fly casting, fly tying, rod rigging, seminars by local fishing experts, boater safety, kayak and paddle board demo’s and much more!
Saturday, May 17 from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm at the Portage District Library in Portage.
- Enjoy back-to-back showings of one of the most popular movie series of the 1980′s where time was traversed via a Delorean equipped with a flux capacitor! (Rated PG). From 12-3pm get your picture taken with a real Delorean. Prizes for movie trivia and Best Dressed from the 80′s!
Saturday, May 17 from 10:00 am – 4:30 pm at the West Michigan Glass Art Center in Kalamazoo.
- Enjoy 45 minute glass art classes offered every hour to learn Kiln Fusing, Paperweights, Stained Glass, Flameworking, Beadmaking, and Sandblasting. Perfect for adults and youth with no experience necessary. Simply choose which classes you would like to take at what time and call us to register. Walk-ins are welcome! We will fit you into classes as space allows. Explore Glass Art Day is a perfect opportunity to explore affordable mini glass art classes before signing up for full classes. We know you will be hooked!! Bring your family and friends for a day of glass art fun!
- Note: most classes are appropriate for ages 12 and up. Some classes are offered for ages 7 and up.
Sunday, May 18 from 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm at the Henderson Castle in Kalamazoo. (Note: when we called to check on this event there were just a handful of reservations open, but it looks like so much fun that we wanted to add to our Weekend Picks).
- Join us for a Royal Tea Party for all ages. This is a royal experience including food, fun, a castle and of course… Princesses. The event includes tea and refreshments, storytelling and much more. Bring your little ones dressed as their favorite princess character for an enchanted day. Call 269-344-1827 for reservations.
Also, get your tickets for to The Magical Adventures of Merlin by the Kalamazoo Civic Youth Theatre. A great family show going on now. See post for performance times.
Check out the many fun runs happening in our community this weekend! A great way to get active with the kiddos.
With half of May already gone, we wanted to highlight the Cultural Exchange again. It is an opportunity to get out and explore one of the fun institutions around Kalamazoo. Binder Park Zoo, KIA, KNC, Air Zoo, and the Gilmore Car Museum. All you need is a membership to any of the listed organizations and you can get into the others for free! This is only for the month of May, so get out there while you can.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?