by Amy L
Christmas Break is a wonderful time for families to have fun together! This list of events is sure to keep your kids busy and having fun all break long. Take some time to visit different places in Kalamazoo and learn through experiences this Christmas break.
By now you know that our KZOOkids.com event calendar is loaded with great activities in and around Kalamazoo. If you’re in a hurry and want to put together a super day-by-day activity plan, you’ll love this Christmas Break activity planner!
Note: some of these activities and camps will require advanced registration. So make sure you check out your options and plan in advance.
Friday, December 22
- Mark the beginning of winter break with a trip to Binder Park Zoo to see the ZOOLIGHTS. Stroll along lighted paths viewing some of our weather-hardy animals on exhibit enjoying the winter season. Then head indoors for time with Santa, stories with Grandma Claus, unlimited FREE carousel rides, up-close animal meet and greets, hot chocolate, special activities, and more.
Saturday, December 23
- Go Ice Skating at Millennium Park which opens at noon until 10:00 pm.
- Visit the Holiday Walk & Market for a volunteer-guided tour and shopping at the W.K. Kellogg Manor. Admission for these guided tours is $5. End your tour with hot spiced tea and cookies and browse items from local artists.
Sunday, December 24
- Take the Holly Jolly Trolley around Downtown Kalamazoo. Hours are noon – 4:00 pm today.
- Any last minute requests for Santa? Visit Santa’s Workshop in Downtown Kalamazoo. Hours are noon – 4:00 pm.
Monday, December 25
- Merry Christmas! We hope you have a wonderful day with your family, enjoying time together and making memories. If your family is out looking at lights, check out our Holiday Lights & Christmas Card Displays Around Kalamazoo guide.
Tuesday, December 26
- Kalamazoo Central Library: Students in grades 6-12 can enjoy slime making at the library starting at 2:00 pm. The kids will enjoy making magnetic and glow in the dark slime. Registration required.
- Check out the NEW Jumanji Exhibit at the Otsego Library opening on the 26th and running through January 18th. An interactive game of Jumanji will come to life in the large program room. Cost is $1 per person to play, during open library hours.
Wednesday, December 27
- Kalamazoo Nature Center: Animals Encounters is a fun, informative family program beginning at 11:00 am. The one-hour program will be run by a naturalist to encourage exploration and assist with the fun. There is a small cost for adults and children over age three.
- Kalamazoo Valley Museum: Storyteller Adam Mellema will delight families with his hilarious and high-energy show. Show starts at 12:00 pm and is free for all.
- Air Zoo: Family fun days will be held every Wednesday through Friday during winter break. Winter Holidays Around the World will educate the whole family about holidays celebrated in different countries. Cost is $2 per participating child in addition to the regular admission fee.
Thursday, December 28
- Bookbug, Kalamazoo: Families are welcome to attend Family Storytime at 10:00 am. Each week features a theme, fingerplays and songs. All ages are welcome.
- High School Movie Night: Grades 9-12, check out movie night with snacks at the Portage District Library with a viewing of Back to the Future, starting at 6:00 pm. Registration is required.
Friday, December 29
- Go bowling at Airway Lanes in Portage and enjoy bowling or the arcade.
- Kalamazoo Nature Center: Animal Adaptations is a program where families learn some of the amazing ways that animals survive Michigan winters! Programs will be held at 11:00 am: All About Box Turtles, and 2:00 pm: Michigan Mammals. Program is included with regular KNC admission.
Saturday, December 30
- Barnes and Noble: The Story of Ferdinand storytime will be held at Barnes and Noble from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm. Come to story time to see how the original story of Ferdinand compares to the new movie!
- Kalamazoo Nature Center: Families can attend the KNC Creature Feature at 11:00 am to learn firsthand about the birds of prey that live at the Center. The 2:00 pm Creature Feature will feature a live raptor program. Program is included with regular KNC admission.
- Gabel Natatorium: Western Michigan University’s Gabel Natatorium opens the pool for families to enjoy open swim with holiday hours from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm on Saturday the 30th. Families can use pool toys, swim in lanes and use diving wells. Call the cancellation hotline at (269) 387-3046 before venturing out to make sure the pool is open. Admission fee applies.
Sunday, December 31
- New Year’s Fest is an all-ages showcase of talent that takes place in downtown Kalamazoo at Bronson Park, beginning at 5:00 pm. A variety of music, magic and comedy shows will be on display for families to enjoy.
- Kids ‘N’ Stuff Children’s Museum: If your family is looking for a family-friendly New Year’s celebration, check out the Noon Year’s Eve Family Celebration happening in Albion from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm! There will be special activities, a sparkling punch toast, and crafts for the kids. Regular admission prices apply (free admission for members).
- Air Zoo: Come out and celebrate New Year’s Eve with a balloon drop at 3:00 pm. Kids will enjoy face painting and making take-home party hats and noisemakers. Activities will run from noon to 3:00 pm.
Monday, January 1
- SkyZone Kalamazoo has New Year’s Day open jump hours from 11:00 am – 8:00 pm on New Year’s Day.
- Spring Valley Park: The John Daley Memorial One One Run is an annual tradition for many residents in Kalamazoo. This 2.2 or 4.4 mile run/walk goes around Spring Valley Park. Runners and walkers can enjoy a big tent of food, music and fun at the conclusion of the race.
- Yawn!! We hope your kids let you sleep in a little today! Take some time today to set some resolutions as a family, get the house cleaned up from all the winter holiday festivities, and enjoy time together as a family.
Photo Courtesy Kalamazoo Nature Center
Tuesday, January 2
- Kalamazoo Nature Center: Families can learn about animals in the far north with the Arctic Animals program! At 11:00 am Preschool Explorers will take place and at 2:00 pm. Arctic Animal Adaptations will happen.
- Check out Revel and Roll West where all amusements and kids meals are 50% off all day on Tuesdays!
Wednesday, January 3
- Air Zoo: Family fun days will be held every Wednesday through Friday during winter break. Today’s Superhero Training Camp will have kids practicing archery skills, flying abilities, costume design and other superhero activities. Cost is $2 per participating child in addition to the regular admission fee.
- Kalamazoo Valley Museum: Steve Barber will perform for families from 12:00 – 1:00 pm. Steve is a retired teacher and elementary principal who will share stories and songs from his life and his family to help others talk about their own families and their own stories.
- Kalamazoo Public Library: Winter Crafternoon at the Alma Powell branch. Drop in to this fun program for kids in grades Kindergarten through 5th grade. All materials will be provided. Program will run from 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm. Visit the Oshtemo Branch for a Winter Crafternoon from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm.
Thursday, January 4
- Air Zoo: Family fun days will be held every Wednesday through Friday during winter break. This family fun day will have families building rockets! Families can experiment by making pop-fizz, stomp, balloon, and air pump rockets! Kids will design and fly their own take-home paper rockets, and learn from the experts as they launch alcohol rockets across the main exhibit floor!
- Kalamazoo Central Library, Teens join the Hamilton Sing-Along beginning at 4:30 pm. Revel with some rebels and sing along to your favorite Hamilton songs. There will be colonial-ish treats and prize for best costumes. No need to be any good at singing to join in the fun.
- Kalamazoo Public Library Eastwood Branch: Families can enjoy a trip out for a movie and some healthy snacks at the library! The family-friendly movie will begin at 3:00 pm.
Friday, January 5
- Kalamazoo Valley Museum: Michigan Touring Artist Jenifer Strauss will perform for families from 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Jenifer’s performance is an interactive program for kids and their families to find out how rabbit tricks fox, meet a family that lives in a snowflake, and learn why Thomas always wrestles with his snowsuit
- Visit Klassic Arcade: located in Gobles, all day play on classic arcade games is only $5. Hours for Friday are noon – 8:00 pm.
Saturday, January 6
- Fun for All: Cabin Fever: Haven Church is hosting a fun event for all ages, beginning at 10:00 am. Bring your kids and friends for snacks, games, basketball, and sledding!
- Check out a performance of The Wizard of Oz playing at Miller Auditorium with shows at 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm. The entire family will be captivated as they travel down the Yellow Brick Road and beyond with Dorothy, Toto and their friends the Cowardly Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow in this lavish production, featuring breathtaking special effects, dazzling choreography and classic songs.
Sunday, January 7
- Head out to the annual Snow Fest at Bair Lake Bible Camp, located in Jones for an afternoon of tubing, ice tower climbing, cross-country skiing, and a ton of other family fun, including dinner.
Have a great Winter Break and enjoy time with the family!