Yes, I think winter is here to stay. It was pretty cold when I dropped my kiddo off at school this morning. While I’d love to hibernate for the rest of the winter, I think it’s not the most effective route to deal the winter weather. So, I think we’ll be joining in the “If You Can Be It, Join It” mindset and take advantage of some of the fun happenings in our area.
There’s a ton of fun winter festivals and local chili-cooks offs heading our way. So get the kiddos bundled up and head out to one of these area winter festivals.
WINTER SNOW FESTIVALS AND CHILI COOK-OFFS
Milham Golf Course, Kalamazoo, January 31
- A FREE community event offering snowshoeing, kayak sledding, snowman building contest, igloo building, and more. Bring your own sleds, too.
Downtown South Haven, January 30- February 1
- West Michigan’s predominant and growing winter festival is showcasing dazzling ice sculptures, Chili Cook-off, Pub Slide, horse drawn wagon rides, kid crafts, and many more exciting, fundraising events for local communities.
Downtown St. Joseph, February 6-8
- Professional ice carving competition, fire and ice tower display, Snow Biz Scavenger Hunt, magical fun, and more are some of the highlights for this fun festival. Make sure that you bring your camera to capture some of the awesome ice carvings.
Downtown Marshall, February 6 & 7
- Shop as you stroll up and down Michigan Avenue and beyond for unique gifts, great restaruant fare and superb wine tasting. Ice carving on Friday from 4 pm- 9 pm and Saturday starting at 10 am.
Leila Arboretum, Battle Creek, February 7
- Join the fun at the annual Festivus celebration at the Leila Arboretum in Battle Creek. Some of the events include a cardboard sled competition, local chili cook-off, ugly sweater contest, horse drawn sleigh rides, geocaching, and more!
Downtown Vicksburg, February 7
- Join the fun at the Annual Chamber of Commerce Chili Cook-off downtown Vicksburg. Also, the Annual Frost Bite 5K run is happening the same day. The run start time is 11:00 am.
Oakland Drive Park, Portage, February 7
- There will be many activities to enjoy such as sledding and a snowman building contest! Build, decorate and bring your own cardboard sled! Build and dress up the biggest and fanciest snowman! Prizes will be awarded for best in show for both contests as well as the fastest cardboard sled!
Timber Ridge, Gobles, February 28
- A weekend of Fun for the all ages featuring: Cardboard Classic, Dummy Downhill, Penguin Slide, Family Snow-Sculpting, Costumes, Horseshoes in the Snow, a Wheelbarrow Race, Prizes for these events, include an individual and a Family Season Pass for 2015-16, a stay at the Victoria Resort in South Haven and more.
Embrace Winter and have fun with your family!