by Jill P
Need an idea to keep the kiddos busy and engaged this summer? Join one, two or three of the summer reading programs locally or a national program. There are plenty to chose from!
Libraries in and around Kalamazoo County have an astonishing number of free, fun and educational reading programs scheduled throughout the Summer. Make sure to also check out the reading games offered at your local branch, it is a great way to encourage your child to read!
KALAMAZOO COUNTY READING PROGRAMS
- Join the fun at the Summer Kick-Off at the Portage District Library on Jun 13 from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Sign up for Summer Reading and stay for some family-friendly fun. There will be facepainting, crafts, bubble fun (10-11:30), an egg drop competition (11-12:30), scavenger hunts and more!
- Summer Reading Program runs May 12 to August 12. Fun programs for each age group.
- Kick of summer with a party on June 6 from 11:00 am-2:00 pm at Kalamazoo Public Library Central location parking lot at the corner of Rose and Lovell. Enjoy inflatables, games, special guests, and sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge!
- Or sign up for the Summer Reading Program beginning on June 1.
- Pick up a Get Ready to Read Calendar or Super Hero Reading Log beginning June 15. Summer Reading Program Run June 15 – August 7.
- Children can begin their reading adventure for the summer by signing up for a reading club. Registration begins on June 15 at 9:00 am in the library and phone reservations begin at 11:00 am.
- Registration for the Summer Reading Program begins on Monday, June 8th. Checking in and other activities begin on June 15th.
- Also, check out the fun math and reading skills packets available for kids wanting to remember what they learned in school over the summer.
- Registration for the Summer Reading Program begins on June 15 at 10:00 am at the library.
- Join the fun at the “Kick off the Summer” Park Party on June 17 from 10:30 – 11:30 am in the Village Park. Local “Celebrities” will be located throughout the park reading their favorite picture books to you and your children.
SURROUNDING COUNTY PROGRAMS
- Summer Reading Program runs June 5- August 8. Readers and those children not yet reading on their own may earn prizes for reading and listening to books.
- Print off your own reading log from home or pick one up to begin the summer reading program.
- Summer Reading Program runs June 8- August 1. Children of all ages and reading levels are encouraged to join the fun: prizes, games, crafts, special programs, and lots of great books!
Summer Reading Program runs June 5–September 5. Sign up anytime after June 5.
NATIONAL READING PROGRAMS
- The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge™ is a free online reading program for children. Reading program runs May 4 – September 4. Win prizes for home and your child’s school.
- Read any 8 books and record them in the Reading Journal and choose a FREE BOOK from our selection on the Reading Journal list at the store.
- Kids in grades K-8 can search for books, read them offline, come back to quiz on what they’ve read, and earn prizes for their reading success.
- Print out this rewarding reward chart and bring to Chuck E Cheese on your next visit for 10 free tokens.
- Everything you need to host 10 fun weeks of reading camp – a new theme each week! Created in cooperation with PBS KIDS.
- Summer Reading Challenge is an online interactive reading program that encourages kids in grades K-6 to read throughout the summer. This program launches June 22 and will end on August 15.
- Build your own reading program and reward system using this website.