“Kind words and actions can seem so small, but their effects are truly endless.” (Author Unknown)
by Jill P
Today, February 17 in National Random Acts of Kindness Day. Kindness is something we all want to teach our children. It doesn’t take too much effort to show someone that you care. Here are 28 ideas for random acts of kindness that you and/or your child can do today.
1. Write a thank you note to someone who has helped your child along the way: a babysitter, a neighbor, a speech therapist, etc.
2. Send a birthday card to someone special.
3. Bring flowers to your child’s teacher, camp counselor, or dentist.
4. Have you kids call their grandparents just to say “I love you”.
5. Give your child $5 or $10 to spend on a gift for someone special in their lives.
6. Buy and drop off food for Kalamazoo Loaves and Fishes.
7. Give your child an extra hug today and tell them how special they are.
8. Buy coffee for a stranger.
9. Become a Big Family volunteer with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Kalamazoo.
10. Donate your child’s clothing for a good cause.
11. Buy your child’s favorite book and donate to their school library.
12. Pick up a meal and deliver it to a friend who is going through a rough patch.
13. Read a book to your child.
14. Leave some extra pennies at Meijer for the next child to ride “Sandy”.
15. Give a compliment to someone that you care for.
16. Buy ice cream for the kids on your street or neighborhood.
17. Make a handmade card for someone.
18. Tape and send a video message to a friend far away.
19. Take treats to your local fire station or police station.
20. Shovel a neighbor’s driveway or weed their garden in the summer.
21. Pick berries and give them away to a neighbor.
22. Make a thank you card for your librarian. Yes, we love our local libraries!
23. Tape a special note to your mailbox for your mail carrier.
25. Write a thank you note to your child’s doctor. They are always there when we need them!
26. Sign up for a fundraising run or walk in the area.
27. Offer to babysit a friend’s kids so they can go out on a date night.
28. Spring for donuts from Sweetwater’s Donut Mill for the office if you’re a working parent.