Fall is here! It’s one of my favorite times of the year. There is so much to do and squeeze in to the Fall season. So, get out the markers and poster board, and add these items to your fall bucket list.
1. Pick your perfect pumpkin. Nothing beats a visit to Gene the Pumpkin Man who is legend in our area. We hear they’re opening on October 1.
2. Go Apple Picking with the family. There are thirteen apple picking farms that we highlight in our apple picking guide. Head out to one you’ve never visiting before.
3. See a show. Kalamazoo has some of the hottest shows coming this fall. You’ll love the great line-ups at Miller Auditorium, Civic Theatre, and the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra. Theatre Kalamazoo has a great calendar, so you won’t miss any of the great shows coming out way.
4. Get lost in a corn maze. There’s plenty of great corn mazes around Kalamazoo. Also, you’ll find some fun options for night mazes, too.
5. Play in a pile of brightly-colored leaves!
8. Enjoy garden surrounds at the Frederik Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids.
9. Make time to take in a Harvest Festival. Our Harvest Festival Round-up has a HUGE listing of events around SW Michigan and many of these are FREE.
10. Enjoy Free Admission Day at Kids’ N Stuff Museum in Albion on October 17.
11. Venture out to Cedar Point for their HalloWeekend starting September 19 on weekends. It’s a great time of year to check out Cedar Point.
12. Take part in a great fun run or walk to help raise money for a local charity. Bonus, you’ll get some exercise and feel great about supporting a great cause.
13. Take the younger kiddos out for a hike. See our 4 Easy Hikes For The Beginner Hiker.
14. Peach picking isn’t just an activity for summer. We’ve got a listing of farms where you can find Fall Peach Picking.
15. Enjoy a fall color tour. Pick up a map for the Arts & Eats Tour and discover places you’ve never been to before plus see great fall colors along the way.
16. Join KZOOkids and Just Move Fitness & More for our Pirate Party Playdate.
17. Always been wanting to get your kiddo started on playing an instrument? Check out the Crescendo Academy Cafe’ and Open House.
18. Take the family out for breakfast. Try one of our Reader Recommended Breakfast Places. You won’t be disappointed.
19. Pet a farm animal, ride a slide, or enjoy one of the great family farms around SW Michigan. Check out our Fall “Must Do” Places For Family Fun. You’re kids will love it!
20. Take in a K-Wings Hockey Game. Their season starts on October 16. Plan to attend the K-Wings 12th annual Halloween Orange Ice Night on Friday, October 30.
21. Head out to Art Prize in Grand Rapids. Use this Art Prize Tour & Map For Families put together by grkids.com. Make sure you’re prepared for it to be busy i.e. pack snacks for the kids.
22. Get your fresh fall produce at a Farmers’ Market. Pick up your apples, pears, butternut squash, pumpkins, mums, and more.
24. Grab your favorite pumpkin spice recipe and enjoy!
25. Get ready for Halloween by attending a great Halloween Event. We’ll have a full listing in a few weeks, but for now visit our Event Calendar for some of our favorites including: Gilmore Spooktacular at the Gilmore Car Museum, all Treats, No Tricks at Harvest Moon Acres, and the Creatures of the Night: Whooo Dun It? at the Kalamazoo Nature Center.
26. Enjoy a Zipline Adventure at the KNC where you can fly like a bird. (For age level 4th grade and up).
27. Dress up the kids in their Halloween costumes and join the fun at the ZooBoo at Binder Park Zoo.
28. Sign your child up for Manors at the Manor. Geared toward kids 5-13. Who could use a little brush up on manors such as table manners, phone etiquette, and how to behave in different situations, right?
29. Take your kiddos to a football game at WMU and “row the boat” at Education Day at on October 24.
30. Plan to attend one of the special author events brought to you by Bookbug. One of our favorite authors, Chris Van Allsburg will be presenting Polar Express the 30th Year Edition on November 15.
31. Hop a ride on the Coopersville/Marne Pumpkin Train and plan to pick up your pumpkin along the way. Or for the train-lover in your family, check out the Southwest Michigan Train Show & Sale happening in October.
33. Make carmel apples with the kids.
What’s your favorite thing to do with the family in the fall? Let us know in the comment section below.