This Christmas Break Guide is brought to you by Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark.
Looking for family fun this Christmas Break? Travel + Leisure named Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark as one of America’s Coolest Indoor Water Parks. Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark has day passes available during Christmas Break. They make great stocking stuffers that your kids are sure to love!
by Julie S & Jill P
No matter what holiday you may celebrate, one of the best things about this time of year is all of the extra time you have with your kids. But after a couple of days of tripping over new Legos or baby doll bottles, you may be ready to get out of the house! We’ve got you covered with 40 great ideas for Kalamazoo ares Christmas Break fun, perfect for making family memories.
Have a great Christmas Break and enjoy the holiday season with your family!
40 THINGS TO DO DURING CHRISTMAS BREAK
1. Take in a hockey game with the Kalamazoo Wings. Check out their full promotional schedule here.
3. Join some of your favorite area sports team and business mascots at the Millennium Park ice rink for the Mascot Skate. On January 6th, from 3:00-5:00pm.
5. Join in on the fun at Kingdom Sports for some open play soccer. Holiday Drop-In ~ $5 per day and runs 12/26 – 12/29 & 1/2 – 1/5 on Tuesday – Thursday from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. (Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult)
6. See some Holiday Christmas Lights in town with your kids. Or venture off to one of the great holiday light shows that are out of town.
7. Venture out of town for an adventure at Muskegon’s Winter Sports Complex. You can luge, cross country ski, skate, sled and more!
8. Warm up with a great cup of hot chocolate.
9. Work off excess energy at Jungle Joe’s. Don’t forget about their New Year’s Eve Party from 5:00-8:00pm. See their website for more details.
10. Head out to your favorite park to do some sledding. See our Sledding Guide for some of our KZOOkids.com reader favorites.
13. Create a work of art at the Art Bayou.
14. Sign the kids up for one of the Winter Break Camps in our area.
15. Make it a movie day with Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas.
17. Head to the Kalamazoo Valley Museum for one of their noon Winter Break Performances with musicians and storytellers.
18. Experience drumming, dancing, and singing as Rootead brings the Anansi and the Pot of Beans folktale to life at the KPL.
19. Ride some of the rides at the Air Zoo and explore all of the great airplanes and spacecraft for an “out of this world” experience. Check out our Air Zoo: Five Fun Ways to Play! article for some ideas!
20. Join the slime craze by making your own at the Kalamazoo Central Library! Perfect for grades 6-12, registration required.
21. Make a craft at Michael’s and join in on the kid’s day fun.
22. Visit Klassic Arcade in Gobles to let the kiddos play some games.
23. Take a road trip to Holiday Nights in Greenfield Village. Voted one of the best Christmas activity by USA Today!
24. Get your kids pictures taken with Santa. See our Santa Sightings Guide for a HUGE listing where you can find the Jolly Man in red this season.
25. Get into the New Year’s spirit with the New Year’s Fest in Downtown Kalamazoo.
26. Go tubing at Echo Valley (assuming we have snow). They open on December 23.
27. Experience the joy of Christmas Traditions Around the World at Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park.
28. Get day passes for a waterpark. Head up north to Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark rated “one of America’s Coolest Indoor Water Parks” for a great day of family fun.
29. Jump, bounce, and work off that excess energy at the Kalamazoo Sky Zone. Make your reservation ahead of time on their website to ensure your kiddos jump times.
30. Find a new book for the kids and browse Bookbug for a great children’s selection of books. Grab a coffee at their new Table of Contents cafe, with baked goods and a full food menu coming soon!
31. Take the kids out for dinner and see our Kids Eat Free listing for where they can eat cheap or free.
32. Have your 6-12 grader enter the Game Tournament Tournament, where they can test their skills at a variety of games to see who wins the tournament of tournaments! On December 30 at the Kalamazoo Library.
33. Join the One One Run. Start the year moving with family and friends while raising money for an important organization: Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kalamazoo.
34. Love the musical Hamilton? Revel with the rebels and sing along at the Hamilton Sing-along with colonial-ish treats. Costumes encouraged! For teens and tweens at KPL.
35. Enjoy nature? Head to the Kalamazoo Nature Center for one of their Discovery Programs or their Winter Break Camp. Winter Discovery Programs are drop-in programs and activities for each day! A Naturalist will be on hand to encourage exploration and assist with the fun. A family program will take place each day at 11 am. See the KNC’s event calendar or our KZOOkids event calendar for themes and dates.
36. Take in a show at the KVM’s Planetarium. Choose from Let It Snow, SpacePark 360, Mystery of the Christmas Star, or Season of Light. Check their calendar for specific show times.
37. Enjoy the wonders of winter at Winter Snowfest 2018 at Bair Lake Bible Camp.
38. Add a thrill to the winter chill with the Sherman Lake YMCA Winter Camp, December 28-29 for $99 for 5 meals and snacks, lodging and all activities (archery, swimming, rock climbing, arts and crafts, outdoor winter fun, campfire and more). Grades 2-8. Call 269-731-3000 or register online.
40. Take the family to St. Joseph to stroll under one million twinkling lights for Light Up The Bluff, which runs from December 1st – February 15th.
A lot of these ideas and more can be found on the KZOOkids.com calendar. Please let us know if you have an event to add by submitting it to our calendar here. Events on our Event Calendar are family-friendly.
What fun things will you be doing this Christmas Break?