by Jill P
By now you know that our KZOOkids.com EVENT CALENDAR is loaded with great activities in and around Kalamazoo. If you’re in a hurry and want to put together a super day-by-day activity plan, you’ll love this Christmas Break activity planner! Note: some of these activities and camps will require advanced registration. So make sure you check out your options and plan in advance.
Stay in the loop…sign up for our E-News here! We’ve got lots of fun information coming your way. This is the best way (as well as checking our website often) to keep up with all of the fun things happening in our community.
Have a great Christmas Break and enjoy time with the family!
Monday, December 22
- Maker Monday is at the KPL-Central branch from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Drop in and make bracelets to match your favorite books. We’ll have looms, yarn, and all the supplies you need. You bring the creativity.
- Screening of Polar Express at the PDL. Join us for a screening of Polar Express! Enjoy hot coco at the coco bar and then snuggle in with your family to watch the beloved holiday classic. Pajamas and blankies are encouraged. When registering, simply enter your family’s name and how many will be in attendance along with your phone number. Registration required.
- Join in on Cookie Day at the Garden Gate Cafe‘. This is one of our favorite places to enjoy a kid-friendly activity. If you’re planning to join the cookie decorating, RSVP in advance.
Tuesday, December 23
- Dinner With Santa At Binder Park Zoo–Register now for dinner with Santa! Enjoy a delicious homestyle dinner and exclusive time with Santa, then stroll through ZooLights. Dinner will be served promptly at 5pm. Register online or call (269) 979-1351 for more information.
- Go ice skating at Ice Skating at Millennium Park which is open from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- See the Muppet Christmas Carol at the Alamo Drafthouse at 11:00 am. This is part of the Alamo’s Kids Camp & it’s free! (We believe that the tickets for this showing and others at Alamo Kids Camp will open on the day of the show, but we suggest that you check back on their website a few days before the show to see if tickets are available).
Wednesday, December 24
- Warm up and see a movie at Kalamazoo 10, the Alamo Drafthouse or Crossroads movie theaters.
- Take the Holly Jolly Trolley around Downtown Kalamazoo. Hours are from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm today.
- Santa’s Workshop in Downtown Kalamazoo is a wonderful place where children can take their time, make their own crafts, and write letters to Santa. Santa’s Workshop hours today are 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Thursday, December 25
- Unwrap presents, eat, and enjoy a low-key day with your family.
Friday, December 26
- Drop in at the Visitor Center at KNC between 10:00 am – 4:00 pm for their Family Discovery Program. Naturalist will be on hand to encourage exploration and assist with the fun. A children’s program will take place each day at 11 am and a program for all ages at 2 pm.
- Head out to your favorite park to do some sledding (assuming that we have snow). See our Sledding Guide for the best sledding hills in the area. We like Oakland Drive Park in Portage or Kindleburger Park in Parchment.
Saturday, December 27
- Volunteer with your kids. See our latest article Volunteer & Giving Opportunities With Your Kids Over Christmas Break for ideas.
- Create a work of art at the Art Bayou. Make a special art piece or something to commemorate 2014.
- Work off excess energy at Bounceland, Jungle Joe’s or SkyZone.
Sunday, December 28
- Ride some of the rides at the Air Zoo and explore all of the great airplanes and spacecraft there.
- Go skiing or snowboarding (or learn how to) at Timber Ridge or Bittersweet.
- Head out of town and check out the Christmas Traditions Around The World at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids.
Monday, December 29
- Go bowling at Airway Lanes in Portage and enjoy their other activities. Check out their Frosty Fun Special good through this month.
- Make yummy New Year’s Hats at the Kalamazoo Public Library between 2-3 at the Oshtemo Branch.
- Sign the kiddos up for Winter Break Mini-Sports Camp at the Kalamazoo YMCA starting on Monday. Gotta love camps!
Tuesday, December 30
- While at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum, participate in the Mini Mission Voyage to Mars at 3 pm for $3 per person. This is a mini-mission is an interactive, hands-on simulated space mission in which participants assume the roles and duties of the astronaut crew. Just like real astronauts, the crew will read and follow directions to successfully complete their mission.
- Movie and Snacks: The Lego Movie is playing at the Kalamazoo Public Libraray-Washington Square Branch starting at 2:00 pm.
Wednesday, December 31
- Treat your family to a “stay-cation” right here in Kalamazoo. The Radisson Plaza Hotel and Suites has a great New Year’s Eve Family Package. Check under our WIN tab to enter our giveaway through the December 22.
- If you’ve never been to New Year’s Fest in downtown Kalamazoo, you’re in for a real treat. There’s plenty of great family friendly entertainers on the docket for this year!
- Ring in the New Year with your Kalamazoo Wings during the Ring in the New Year with your Kalamazoo Wings during the 12th Annual New Year’s Eve Bash! The K-Wings will be throwing the best family-friendly New Year’s Party this side of the Mississippi. Post game activities include public skate and dance party.
- Stay tuned…we’ll be coming out with a listing of other New Year’s Eve events and specials that we are aware of soon!
Thursday, January 1
- Do a fun run with the family. The One One Run – Benefit For Boys and Girls starts at 1:00 pm.
- Go tubing, tobogganing, or Ice Skating at Echo Valley.
- SkyZone Kalamazoo has New Year’s Day open jump hours from 12:00 pm-8:00 pm on New Year’s Day.
Friday, January 2
- Sign your kiddos up for Winter Camps at the KNC. This camp is for grades 1-5. Friday’s session is: Tracking the Yeti. The abominable snow man, or yeti, sometimes appears on the KNC Trails. Learn tracking and navigational skills to seek out this and other elusive creatures. Advance registration is required.
- Go rollerskating at Rollerworld.
- Take a day trip to Surfari Joe’s is Watervliet. Just an hour away and they are open 11:00 am to 10:00 pm.
Hope this Christmas Break-Day By Day Planner gives you some ideas on how to plan your Christmas break. Also, check out our Ultimate Christmas Break Planner- 2014 for other great ideas of fun things to do with your family in Kalamazoo during Christmas Break.