Sunday, June 9, 2019 - 10:30 am - 3:30 pm
STEM is an acronym which stands for science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and it allows children to make connections between these subjects and their world through hands-on experimentation. These strategies have been developed to support schools who are often constrained by limited time and limited funding to “teach to the tests” and are not able to offer this type of practical learning to their students. In order to help fill this gap, Curious Kids’ Museum will offer additional hands-on learning opportunities through science and creative programming all summer long, Monday through Saturday, 10:30AM-4:30PM and Sunday 10:30AM-3:30PM. Activities will be included with museum admission. Utilizing both areas on the basement level, CKM will offer practical and “try it” activities and related crafts and presentations/demonstrations.
Each week will have a theme with related activities, experiments and art projects. Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Slide, Slope and Roll—Inclined planes, ramps and other common simple machines
- The Science Behind a Surprising Reaction—Simple Chemical Reactions
- Drips to Drops—Measuring surface tension
- Gravity Exploration—Understanding the pull of gravity
- Light and Mirrors—Refraction and bending light and patterns
- Tower Gems—Engineering challenges for building towers
- Catapults and Beyond—Projectile forces, physics and evaluating different designs
- Flyers and Falls—What goes up must come down. Construct your own flying machine.
- Can You Hear That? How is sound created and how can we hear it?
- Illusions—What is an optical illusion? Are your eyes playing tricks on you?
- Magnetic Force—All moving charges give rise to a magnetic field.
- Make a Splash—Water-colorless and odorless, but so much fun!
Location:Curious Kids' Museum
415 Lake Boulevard
Contact:Cost: Free with paid admission or membership
Event Website: Click to Visit
Organizer: Curious Kids Museum
Organization: Curious Kids Museum
Organizer Phone: (269) 983-2543
Organizer Email: Not Provided
Download the event to your event calendar:Save to your iCal or
We do our best at Kalamazoo Kids to provide accurate, useful information about events and activities. This information (such as times and locations) is gathered from user submissions, press releases, local newspapers, signs around town and word of mouth. We do our best to confirm details before they are posted here. Sometimes details change or we are given inaccurate information. Whenever possible, we link our write-ups to the source in which our information came from and strongly urge you to confirm details before you go. Kalamazoo Kids is in no way responsible for any problems that occur while participating in activities listed on the site, in the newsletter or on Facebook.