[note] In the spirit of full disclosure, I am committee member of the Champions for Healthy Kids Coalition. I’m excited for this FREE community event to take place. Lots of hard work goes into planning an event like this. Take time to look through the schedule and make sure you stop by to check it out.
by Jill P
The Family Fit Festival will take place at Mayors’ Riverfront Park in Kalamazoo from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm. The Family Fit Festival, a true community collaboration, features activities such as: 1K fun runs, youth games, mini farmers’ market, obstacle course, nature hikes, tower gardening, family yoga and more! Additionally, local businesses and organizations will be in attendance to provide community resources and information to families in the Greater Kalamazoo area.
Family Fit Festival Schedule
- All Day from 1:00 – 7:00 pm- Food Trucks, Inflatables, Vendors & Mini Farmers Market
- 1:00 – 4:00 pm- Group Games
- 1:00 – 1:30 pm -Group Exercise – Taekwondo
- 1:30 – 2:00 pm- Free Throw Shooting Contest
- 2:00 – 2:30 pm -Group Exercise – Zumba/Boot Camp
- 2:30 – 3:00 pm -Nature Walk
- 3:00 – 3:30 pm -Group Exercise – Yoga & 1k Run
- 3:30 – 4:00 pm -Three Point Shooting Contest
- 4:00 – 4:30 pm -Group Exercise – Toddler Time Yoga
- 4:30 – 5:00 pm -Hot Spot Shooting Contest
- 5:00 – 5:30 pm -Group Exercise
- 5:30 – 6:00 pm -Nature Walk
- 6:00 – 6:30 pm -Group Exercise & 1k Run
Sponsors of the Family Fit Festival are: City of Kalamazoo, YMCA of Greater Kalamazoo, Huntington Bank, Kalamazoo Public Schools, Portage Parks & Recreation Department, Bronson Athletic Club and Aetna Better Health of Michigan. A BIG thank you goes out to them in their support of this free community event.
For More Information
For more information, or to participate in this event, go to www.healthykalamzoo.com or call 269-459-4853. Like us on Facebook: Champions for Healthy Kids – Kalamazoo and follow on Twitter @kzoohealthykids.
Healthy Habit Tips
In celebration of the Family Fit Festival, the Champions for Healthy Kids Coalition offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- Try, try, repeat – There are many great tasting fruits and vegetables that many kids have never heard of, let alone tried. Grab a new fruit or vegetable and encourage everyone in the family to try at least a bite.
- Play around town – Challenge the family to play on a different playground every week. Identify playgrounds at a variety of parks; expand definitions of playgrounds to include nature trails, a nearby stream, and a bike path.
- Families at play for an hour a day – From walking to gardening, or swimming to shooting hoops, make playful movement a part of your family’s day. To get 60 minutes of moderate activity throughout your day just add 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there.
- Foster a passion for reading – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
About the Champions for Healthy Kids Coalition
Formed in 2010, Champions for Healthy Kids is a community initiative seeking engagement of community leaders to develop and implement policies and environmental changes that improve the health and well-being of children and families in Kalamazoo County. As we seek to improve the health and quality of life, we will work with local partners to help create a culture of active living and healthy eating for all residents.
Hope you can join this FREE community event!