Warm Up to Winter with a Hot Beverage
As the weather turns colder and our noses turn pink, a cup of hot chocolate can warm you up like the coziest of blankets in front of the warm fire. Whether topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, this beverage is a staple among many in the cold Michigan months. But, first, a question…
Is it Hot Chocolate or Hot Cocoa?
Is there a difference between hot chocolate and hot cocoa? According to beverage aficionados, there is: hot cocoa is typically thinner and made with cocoa powder, while hot chocolate is made from melted chocolate and is thicker due to the cocoa butter in its ingredients.
Whether you prefer one recipe over another or use the terms interchangeably, the Kalamazoo area offers a variety of restaurants and cafes to pick up your favorite chocolate beverage. We thank our readers for the suggestions.
Eight Local Favorites for Hot Chocolate
Locally owned and one-of-a-kind, these establishments are favorites among our readers to enjoy a chocolatey cup:
- Cherri’s Chocol’art | 245 S Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo | 269-998-7339
Cherri owned a fine arts gallery for over thirty years; her love of chocolate and art is evident in the turtles, salted caramels, and other decadent options.
- ChocolaTea | 7642 S Westnedge Avenue, Portage | 269-903-2447
Although known for their vast tea selection, ChocolaTea also serves sandwiches, quiche, and desserts (macarons being a favorite of many).
- Confections With Convictions | 116 W Crosstown Pkwy #101, Kalamazoo | 269-381-9700
This shop is proudly “Pure Michigan” with sourcing the majority of their ingredients locally from farmers. They also make all confections by hand using organic, fair trade chocolate.
- Factory Coffee | 213 E Frank Street, Kalamazoo | 269-567-1000
Factory Coffee’s space is truly unique. Within the Reality Factory, Factory Coffee shares space with two other retailers: 1977 Mopeds and Grayling Ceramics.
- Food Dance | 401 E Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo | 269-382-1888
This local favorite for hot chocolate is also a full-service restaurant. They support sustainable, local food and artisans of craft food.
- Java Joint Cafe | 23890 City Center Circle, Mattawan | 269-668-6368
This Mattawan restaurant offers hot beverages as well as smoothies. If you’re in a rush, stop by the drive-thru.
- Mezzo Coffee House | 100 W Allegan Street, Otsego | 269-694-1545
Mezzo Coffee House serves breakfast and lunch, in addition to their beverages. After enjoying a hearty helping of hot chocolate, peruse their marketplace for locally made gifts and unique items.
- The Local Grind Coffee House | 117 S Grove Street, Delton | 269-623-5777
Located in Delton, this restaurant prides itself on great coffee and baked treats.
Chains / Multiple Locations
This mix of local and national chains brought in a number of votes from readers as well:
- BIGGBY (Make sure to check out their Steamers for kids too)
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Water Street Coffee
- Circle K or Speedway gas stations
Did we miss one of your favorite places to get hot chocolate? If so, let us know in the comment section below and we’ll add them to this list.
PIN for Reference