Families Can Choose the KPS Trimester Model or 100% Virtual Instruction
Kalamazoo Public Schools is developed its Return-to-School plan around family choice. Families can select from three learning options, and must select by August 14:
1 | KPS Three-Tiered/Trimester Option
KPS students will move from Virtual –>Hybrid –>In-Person through three trimesters:
- Trimester 1 (Aug 31 – Nov 24): 100% Virtual Instruction with a KPS teacher with classmates from school
- Trimester 2 (Nov 30 – Mar 12): Hybrid Instruction with 2 days in-person/3 days virtual (requires Michigan Phases 4 or 5)
- Trimester 3 (Mar 15 – Jun 11): In-Person Instruction 5 days/week (requires Michigan Phase 6)
2 | KPS Virtual Option
100% Virtual learning with a KPS teacher (teacher may not be from student’s assigned school).
- K-8 uses Calvert Learning; 9-12 uses GradPoint
- Students are still enrolled at KPS; dual enrollment offered
- Families may switch to Option 1 (3 Tier/Trimester) at the beginning of each trimester only.
3 | County Virtual Option
100% Virtual learning with KRESA Virtual & Innovative Collaborative (KVIC) countywide virtual curriculum taught by a Kalamazoo County teacher (teacher may not be from KPS).
- K-5 uses Lincoln Learning; 6-12 uses Michigan Virtual
- Still enrolled at KPS; AP offered
- Families may NOT switch learning options if they select the county virtual option. This learning selection is locked for the school year.
In all three options, students are eligible for the Kalamazoo Promise.