There is something fun about Spring and Summer that gets us more active. There are some great FUN RUNS in the upcoming months that look like great opportunities to get out there with the kiddos. Have fun!
If you know of any additional fun runs in the area that would be great for the kiddos, please let us know so we can submit it to our event calendar. Click here to submit event. Thanks!
Lake Center Elementary, 10011 Portage Rd, Portage, MI
Friday, May 16 with 5k run/walk at 6:00 pm and 1 mile fun run at 6:45 pm
- Course is an out and back course along-side Austin Lake. All proceeds support the Lake Center Elementary PTO.
- Packet pickup, on-site registration, and race start and finish will take place at Lake Center Elementary on Portage Rd. Parking is available at LCE.
- 1 Mile Fun Run is open to anyone. Registration is not required. Registration for 5K Run/Walk provides each participant a Meal Deal. This includes a hot dog, chips and a drink.
- Awards will be given to Overall Male and Female finishers and the top 2 males and females in each division. All 5K participants receive a race bag with t-shirt and goodies from area companies.
Lake Village Homestead, 7943 South 25th Street, Kalamazoo, MI
Saturday, May 17th, gates open at 8:00 am.
his event will include a morning warm-up, a 5K trail run/walk, kids’ 1K Fun Run Obstacle Course, plus farm and garden tours, and visits with farm animals and residents. Visitors may also enjoy local and healthy food sourced from our farm and opportunities to chat with wellness professionals.
The rustic 5K trail winds along our permanently protected 1.5 miles of Long Lake shoreline and nearly 300 acres of connected meadows, pastures, and wooded trails. Runners will be treated to views of the diverse and beautiful habitats shared by farm animals and wildlife.
5K Race Registration – $25.00 (includes T-shirt, entrance, parking, water and nutritious post-race refueling!) Online registration closes May 15th. Fee Morning of Race: $30 cash or check only. (No T-shirt guaranteed)
Kids’ Fun Run/Obstacle Course registration – Free (All children wishing to participate in the Kids’ Fun Run & Obstacle Course must be registered prior to May 15th.)
Adult 5K T-shirts – $15.00 Youth 5K T-shirts – $10.00
- Lake Village Homestead Farm is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. All proceeds from this event and donations directly benefit the preservation of wetlands, wildlife areas, farmland, and educational programs at Lake Village Homestead Farm in Kalamazoo, MI.
Schedule of Events:
8:00 Gates Open
8:30 Warm-up led by CrossFit AZO
9:00 5K Trail Run/Walk followed by post-race snacks and massage by Kalamazoo Athletic Wellness
10:30 Kids Fun Run and Obstacle Course
Noon-1 Yoga led by Virginia Bird (please bring a yoga mat if possible)
11-3 Local food prepared by Rustica will be available for purchase. Visit with the animals, tour the garden, learn about becoming a Lake Village Member as well as opportunities to visit with wellness professionals.
Kalamazoo Christian Schools, 2121 Stadium Drive, Kalamazoo, MI
Saturday, May 17, 2014
7:00-8:00am On-Site Registration & Packet Pickup
8:30am 5K Run/Walk (timed)
9:30am Awards & Giveaways
10:00am Kids 1K Fun Run (not timed)
- Packet pickup, on-site registration, and race start and finish will take place at the Kalamazoo Christian High School. The Fun Run will take place on the high school track.
- Parking available at Second Reformed Church (just west of the school on Stadium Drive), and at the Stadium Drive Apartments, northeast parking lot, across Howard St. from the High School.
Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center, 6225 N 39th St, Augusta
Sunday, May 18 from 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
- Dirt, Mud, Paint, Water – All are a part of this interactive adventure race experience!
- Ages 8-14 (Limit 100 participants)
- Fee: $10 Online/$20 on event day
- Check in is at 12:00 pm
- Race start at 12:30 pm
Portage West Middle School ,7145 Moorsbridge Road, Portage, MI
Friday, June 6 from 4:45 pm-7:30 pm
- Check-in & late registration – 4:45-5:30p • Warm-up and stretch – 5:30p
- Tot Run – 5:55p T-shirts are picked up at the check-in table. There will be an obstacle course available for youth prior to the event. There will be food, snacks, & drinks available after the Tot Run. Preschool age and younger. Children will participate in a 150 yard run.
- One Mile Run, ages 5 – Adult will participate in a one mile run. All youth runners receive a ribbon of completion.
Binder Park Zoo, 7400 Division Drive, Battle Creek
Saturday, June 21 6:45 am to 7:45 am – Registration
- The Cheetah Chase is one of the most unique 5k events in Michigan! Kangaroos, wolves and giraffe, to name a few, will be on-hand to watch you run through the Zoo.
- All participants in the Gazelle Gallop and Sloth Walk will receive a free day-of admission pass to Binder Park Zoo, a t-shirt, and a reusable tote bag.
- Gazelle Gallop (5K Run) – $30
- Sloth Walk (5K Walk) – $30
- 7:30 am – Gates to zoo entrance closed to prep for race – be here by 7:30 to park in zoo lot.
- 8:00 am – Gazelle Gallop (5K Run)
Portage YMCA, 2900 W Center Ave, Portage, MI
Friday, July 11 starting at 4:30 pm
- ges 4-8 25 yd (1 pool length) swim; 1 mile Bike; ½ mile Run Ages 9-14 75 yd (3 pool lengths) swim; 2 mile Bike; 1 mile Run
- 4:30pm – Check-in area (large tent) opens. Participants pick up race number, timing chip, and t-shirt. The participant’s age will be marked on back of his/her hand. Next, proceed to transition area, have helmet and bike checked and put bike in designated spot corresponding to race number.
- 4:30-5:15 pm: Announcements outside near large check-in tent
- 5:20 pm: Transition area closes. All bikes must be in transition area.
- 5:20 pm: Ages 9-14 report to gym for seeding. Listen for age/time announcements. 5:30 pm: First heat starts.
- 5:35 pm: Ages 7-8 report to gym
- 5:50 pm: Ages 4-6 report to gym 5:50 pm: Refreshment tent opens.
- 7:15 pm: Awards ceremony outside near large tent. The race will be chip timed.
Kindleberger Park, 650 Riverview Drive, Parchment
Saturday, July 12, 2014
Kids Fun Run – 8 AM
5K Run – 8:30 AM
3K Stroller Stroll – 8:40 AM
5Krun (18+): $25
5K run (17 and under): $20
3K Stroller Stroll: $15
Kids 1/2 mile fun run: FREE
- The 5K Run, 3K Stroller Stroll and 1/2 Mile Kids Fun Run (11 and under) course winds through the tree-lined streets of the City of Parchment, bringing runners and walkers back to the finish line in lovely Kindleberger Park where participants can enjoy more of the Festival Day activities!
- Awards will be given to overall male and female and the top three finishers in the age group categories for the 5K RUN ONLY.
- ALL participants will receive a 2014 t-shirt (Late registration – subject to availability)
Binder Park Zoo, 7400 Division, Battle Creek, MI
Saturday, July 12, 2014, Run begins at 8:15 am
- Kids FUNfari now features the popular Lemur Lap Fun Run. Cost is $10 per child for members and $12 per child for non-members. This includes the child’s admission to the zoo for the day and a Lemur Lap t-shirt. The Lemur Lap registration will begin at 7:00am at the zoo entrance. The fun run will take place at 8:15am. This non-competitive race is for children 10 and under. The trail length is approximately 1/2 mile with a shorter route for the little ones.
- The day begins for registered participants at 8:15 a.m. with the Lemur Lap run. Official zoo opening is 9 a.m. Although the zoo is open until 6:00p.m. Saturdays, Kid’s FUNfari activities will run only until 2:00 p.m.
Ramona Park, 8600 Sprinke Rd, Portage, MI
August 9, 2014 starting at 9 am race time, 7:30 am check-in begins
- Spirit Racing LLC based in Kalamazoo is staging this event. While the young triathletes will be timed and awards presented for the top finishers in each age group of 6-9 and 10-13 years, participation is the primary goal. All courses are within Ramona Park and closed to vehicle traffic for the race duration. Take time with your kids this summer to do the courses in advance. All athletes must pre-register using www.kidsgetactive.us.
Bronson Methodist Hospital parking lot at the corner of John and Lovell streets, Kalamazoo, MI
Sunday, September 28, 2014
- Join us for a community event benefiting Bronson Children’s Hospital, southwest Michigan’s only children’s hospital.
- Registration: 11:00am – 12:45pm
- Children’s Activities, Displays, & Exhibits: 11:00am-12:45 pm
- Run and Walk: 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Post Run & Walk Snacks and Children’s Activities: 1:15 pm – 3:00 pm and Awards: 2:15 pm
May 22 – Girls on the Run 5k Open to participants of Girls on the Run of Greater Kalamazoo
June 7 – Kalamazoo Mud Run
June 13 and 14 – Kalamazoo Klassic
More Runs Are Being Scheduled
Kids for Hope Triathlon, Sayanora 5k, Bronson Children’s Hospital 5k and KRV Trick or Treat Run are in process of being scheduled. We will update this post as more details become available.