[note] Thank you to the Kalamazoo Nature Center for their sponsorship of this guide. Make sure to check out the Earth Day 5k and the Kids Raccoon Run at the Kalamazoo Nature Center! [/note]
by Jill P
There is something fun about Spring and Summer that gets us more active. There are some great FUN RUNS in the upcoming months that look like great opportunities to get out there with the kiddos. Have fun!
If you know of any additional fun runs in the area that would be great for the kiddos, please let us know so we can submit it to our event calendar. Click here to submit event. Thanks!
Kalamazoo Nature Center, 7000 North Westnedge Ave, Kalamazoo
Saturday, April 26 from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Kids Raccoon Run at 9 am / Earth Day 5K Trail Run at 10 am
- FREE admission day at KNC with Earth Day celebration activities all day long!
- The Kids Raccoon Run is a stroller- and wagon-friendly 0.6 mile walk/run around the Habitat Haven Trail for ages 8 & under. The Kids Raccoon Run registration is $10. T-shirts available while supplies last. Proceeds from this year’s runs will support Nature’s Way Preschool.
- Earth Day/Free Admission Day Schedule
- 9:00 am: Creature Feature (exhibits)
- 9:30 am: Parent/Child Yoga (Auditorium)
- 10:30 am: Live Animal Program (Auditorium)
- 11:00 am: Discover Coopers Overlook Trail
- 11:30 am: Story Corner
- 12:00 pm: Discover Beech Maple Trail
- 12:30 am: Live Animal Program (Auditorium)
- 1:00 pm: Discover Habitat Haven Trail
- 1:30 pm: Creature Feature (exhibits)
- 2:00 pm: Discover River Walk Trail
- 2:30 pm: Live Animal Program (Auditorium)
- 3:00 pm: Discover Raptor Ridge Trail
- 3:30 pm: Creature Feature (exhibits)
- 4:00 pm: Discover Ridge Run Trail
Nazareth Campus, 3427 Gull Road, Kalamazoo
Friday, May 2 with a start time of 6:00 pm
- The Meijer Kids Fun Run is a celebration of good health for youth up to age 12. This 1-mile non-competitive event is held at the Borgess Health & Fitness Center. The run is started in “waves” by age group, and parents may walk and push strollers at the back of the pack. All children receive a finisher’s ribbon.
- The event is free, however registration is required. Participants must sign up by Friday, April 25 to receive a free t-shirt. For children registering Thursday or Friday, May 1 and 2, t-shirts will be available for $5 while supplies last.
- Meijer Kids Fun Run Expo runs from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center, 6225 N 39th St, Augusta
Sunday, May 18 from 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
- Dirt, Mud, Paint, Water – All are a part of this interactive adventure race experience!
- Ages 8-14 (Limit 100 participants)
- Fee: $10 Online/$20 on event day
- Check in is at 12:00 pm
- Race start at 12:30 pm
Binder Park Zoo, 7400 Division Drive, Battle Creek
Saturday, June 21 6:45 am to 7:45 am – Registration
- The Cheetah Chase is one of the most unique 5k events in Michigan! Kangaroos, wolves and giraffe, to name a few, will be on-hand to watch you run through the Zoo.
- All participants in the Gazelle Gallop and Sloth Walk will receive a free day-of admission pass to Binder Park Zoo, a t-shirt, and a reusable tote bag.
- Gazelle Gallop (5K Run) – $30
- Sloth Walk (5K Walk) – $30
- 7:30 am – Gates to zoo entrance closed to prep for race – be here by 7:30 to park in zoo lot.
- 8:00 am – Gazelle Gallop (5K Run)
May 22 – Girls on the Run 5k Open to participants of Girls on the Run of Greater Kalamazoo
June 7 – Kalamazoo Mud Run
June 13 and 14 – Kalamazoo Klassic
More Runs Are Being Scheduled
Kids for Hope Triathlon, Sayanora 5k, Bronson Children’s Hospital 5k and KRV Trick or Treat Run are in process of being scheduled. We will update this post as more details become available.