by Jill P and guest, Lisa Panich from the Kalamazoo Nature Center
Looking for a family-friendly and educational event to attend right here in Kalamazoo. Check out the Maple Sugar Festival at the Kalamazoo Nature Center. Our family has attended this event for many years and have always had a good time.
The First Taste of Spring
The Maple Sugar Festival is sweet beyond the taste of maple syrup; to many, it signifies the first taste of spring!
Start your day with delicious pancakes smothered in real Michigan maple syrup! Walk along a wooded trail with a KNC Naturalist for a maple sugar tour. Experience the amazing Birds of Prey up close! The whole family will enjoy entertaining and informative Our Earth, Can you Dig it? program, crafts station, and Kids Carnival at the Interpretive Center.
Don’t miss a visit to the DeLano Homestead during the festival to experience maple sugaring and life in the 1800’s. Horse-drawn wagon rides and demonstrations by blacksmiths, spinners and weavers will round out the activities.
- 9 am-5 pm
- 9 am-2 pm* Pancake Breakfast
- 9 am-5 pm Maple Carnival and Crafts
- 9:30 am-4 pm Maple Sugar Tours (tours depart from sundial)
- 10:30 am, 1 pm, and 3:30 pm LIVE Bird of Prey Presentations (Glen Vista Gallery)
- 12 pm and 2:30 pm Our Earth, Can you Dig it? (Glen Vista Gallery)
- 2-5 pm* Ice Cream and Maple Syrup
- 11 am-5 pm
- Pioneer Sugaring Demonstrations
- Horse-drawn Wagon Rides ($1/person, weather permitting)
- Blacksmithing Demonstrations
- Spinning and Weaving Demonstrations
- Kids’ Activities
- 12-5 pm* Ice Cream with Maple Syrup
*Additional fees: Pancake Breakfast is $6/adult, $5/senior, $4/child (4 – 13 yrs), children 3 years and under are free. Ice cream with maple syrup is $3/serving. Maple cotton candy is $2/bag.
Cost to Attend
Sign up for a KNC membership while you are there and they will deduct the price of admission!
Admission: Members free, Non-members $7/adult, $6/senior, $4/child (4 – 17 yrs), children 3 years and under are free. Guest passes are not honored at special events.