by Jill P
We love Spring! With Spring, brings an awesome selection of great theatre performances and shows. Below are some of the highlights of shows that will be coming our way to the greater Kalamazoo area. You’ll want to see which of these shows or performances are appropriate for your children’s age range. Ranging from local high school performances to professional productions, there’s something for every age range and budget.
So, get out your calendar and pencil in a date with your kiddos to catch a great show!
Check our Event Calendar for more information about tickets pricing and show times. You will want to get your tickets in advance of the date of the show.
Did we miss any local plays or performances? Please submit your event to our Event Calendar here.
By the University Theatre, WMU from March 20 – March 29 at the Gilmore Theatre at WMU in Kalamazoo.
- Witness two unlikely comrads as they embark on a heartwarming adventure to discover what it means to be a true friend. Bring the whole family to this childhood favorite and experience together this simple and touching tale where one is taught that “A good life is much more important than having a long life.”
- Free Barnyard Craft time and face painting one hour prior to each performance. Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to participate.
MORE THEATRE PERFORMANCES
By Farmers Alley Theatre from March 13 – March 23 at the Farmers Alley Theatre in Kalamazoo.
- Coming this March, our Children’s series continues with an all-new musical retelling of the classic Children’s book – GOODNIGHT MOON. This bedtime story that has been cherished by generations for over 60 years has now been turned into a full-scale musical production that kids of all ages will enjoy. We all know that Bunny wants to put off going to bed for as long as possible as he says goodbye to every object in sight. Now a world of imagination is in store for you as Bunny’s bedroom springs to life and we encounter dancing constellations, the cat in the fiddle, and of course, the cow jumping over the moon. This timeless tale has entertained for more than half a century, and now it is your opportunity to share it in a whole new way with the child you love. Appropriate for ages 3 and up.
By the Vicksburg Performing Arts Center from March 13 – March 22 at 501 E. Highway St., Vicksburg, MI.
- A fabulously fun international award-winning musical based on the adored movie, Legally Blonde The Musical, follows the transformation of Elle Woods as she tackles stereotypes, snobbery, and scandal in pursuit of her dreams. This action-packed musical explodes on the stage with memorable songs and dynamic dances. Equal parts hilarious and heart-warming warming, this musical is so much fun it should be illegal! LEGALLY BLONDE The Musical will take you from the sorority house to the halls of justice with Broadway’s brightest new heroine (and of course, her chihuahua, Bruiser).
By the Marshall Civic Players from March 13 – March 22 at the Frankie Center for the Arts in Marshall.
- Six young people in the throes of puberty, overseen by grown-ups who barely managed to escape childhood themselves, learn that winning isn’t everything and that losing doesn’t necessarily make you a loser. Spelling Bee is a hilarious tale of overachievers’ angst chronicling the experience of six adolescent outsiders vying for the spelling championship of a lifetime.
As part of the Broadway Plus Series from March 20 – March 21 at Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- BLUE MAN GROUP will thrill Kalamazoo with its high-octane theatrical experience. Escape the ordinary and surround yourself in an explosion of comedy, music, and technology. If you’ve never seen BLUE MAN GROUP, it’s a must-see. If you’re already a fan, don’t miss it.
By Hackett Catholic Prep from March 20-March 28 at Hackett Catholic Central High School in Kalamazoo.
By Mattawan High School on March 20, 21, 27, 28 and 29th at Mattawan High School in Mattawan.
- Mattawan High School is thrilled to be performing Grease for this year’s spring production! This year we have over 100 high school students involved in this production and we are certain it will be an event that you will not want to miss. Our goal is to provide an educational and musically enriching aspect to the every day education of our students.
By the Kalamazoo Christian High School from March 26 – March 28 at the Kalamazoo Central High School Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- A Musical Based on the Play by SIR J.M. BARRIE. Book, Music, and Lyrics by Piers Chater-Robinson. This production is part of Sir J.M. Barrie’s bequest to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, which has benefited thousands of children in the years since his death. The producers are proud and happy that everyone who has bought a ticket for today’s performance of Peter Pan is helping a sick child get well.
By Portage North Middle from March 20-29 at Portage Northern High School Auditorium,1000 Idaho Ave in Portage.
As part of the Broadway Plus Series at Miller Auditorium on March 29.
- Peter and the Starcatcher, the most magical evening of madcap fun, is now on tour! The winner of 5 Tony Awards®, this swashbuckling prequel to Peter Pan will have you hooked from the moment you let your imagination take flight. PETER AND THE STARCATCHER is the innovative and imaginative play based on the best-selling novel by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. A company of a dozen actors play more than a hundred unforgettable characters, all on a journey to answer the century-old question: How did Peter Pan become The Boy Who Never Grew Up? This epic origin story of popular culture’s most enduring and beloved character proves that your imagination is the most captivating place in the world. PETER AND THE STARCATCHER is suitable for younger audiences but most enjoyable for those 10 and up.
By the Homeschool Performing Arts from May 1- May 9 at the Comstock Auditorium in Comstock.
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, a captivating musical rendition of a traditional French fairy tale, is set in a small village and follows a young girl in her quest to discover a world of which she’s only read and dreamt. As the story unfolds, dreams come to life and she is faced with the realities of choices and their consequences. The show brings enchanting characters, familiar melodies, and exciting choreography to the stage.
By the Civic Theatre Youth Productions from May 15- May 23 at the Parish Theatre in Kalamazoo.
- For over a century, readers have been captivated by Lucy Maud Montgomery’s classic tale of a feisty red-haired orphan who finds happiness in Avonlea. As this heartwarming musical adaptation unfolds, the Cuthberts are expecting to adopt a boy but are in for quite a surprise when clever young Anne Shirley steps off the train. Despite her penchant for getting into trouble, Anne also manages to work her way into the hearts of everyone she meets. Filled with wonderful music and timeless characters, this is the perfect show for the whole family.
RELATED: Free or Cheap Spring Movies