by Jill P
Yikes! I just counted and there are only 17 more days of school left before Summer vacation hits. Yes, I’m definitely looking forward to summer, but I feel like there is so much to do to plan and get ready for the short, three months of summer.
Last Minute School Year Planning
Before the school year ends, here are a few things you should probably do before the start of an awesome summer:
- Get names/addresses of school classmates for summer playdates.
- Look for any end of school year assignments that need to be completed.
- Write a “thank you” note to your kiddos school teacher and any other teacher who’s made an impact on your child’s life this year. See our Teacher Appreciation post for some ideas of fun little gifts that your kiddos teacher will love.
- Get PTO’s summer schedule if they’re meeting over the summer.
- Take your camera to school to get your kiddos pictures taken for the last day of school or check out this fun idea to capture some words from each of your kiddos teachers.
- Plan a fun last day of school activity. We have a tradition of packing a picnic and meeting friends at a playground for a fun way to end the school year. (Bring your calendar to schedule June playdates, too). If you’re really ambitious, check out some of these end of year celebration ideas.
Let The Summer Planning Begin
Now that we’ve covered some last minute things for the school year. Let’s talk about summer!
There’s a few things that you’ll want to check out if you haven’t already done so. Here’s some of our recent articles that will help you start on your summer planning.
- 2015 Summer Camp Guide-Sign your kiddos up for a great summer camp or two or three.
- Vacation Bible School Round-up-Register your kiddos for a VBS near you. Yes, most vacation bible schools require advanced registration and many are filling up quickly.
- Check into Toddler Activities & Classes-Are your kiddos not old enough for summer camp, but you still want to keep them busy this summer? We have a HUGE listing of classes & activities to help you plan your summer.
- Break out the calendar and plan a few fun summer “date nights” with your significant other. Our 33 Inexpensive Date Night Ideas has some great summer ideas.
- Schedule time to go to a Farmers’ Market.
- Check out the Kalamazoo Parks & Recreation Family Fun Guide for Summer 2015 for summer outdoor movies, new classes, and fun family summer events.
- Check out the Portage Parks & Recreation Summer Program & Events. Remember the Family Fishing Fair is this weekend (May 16).
- The Kalamazoo Growlers have released their Promotional Schedule for this season. So many fun games and extra family fun events planned for this year. You’ll want to check it out.
- Our KZOOkids.com Event Calendar has a HUGE listing of summer fun events & activities. We added some super cool events from our neighboring lakeshore communities, too.
Stay Tuned To KZOOkids
We’re working on a ton of fun stuff to help make this your summer the best summer ever! Here’s some of the stuff that we have in the works:
- Reader Recommended Memorial Day Parades
- Summer Bucket List
- Where To Go Berry Picking
- Horseback Riding Options & Camps
- Festival & Parades Round-up
- Favorite Toddler Playgrounds
- Summer Reading Programs
- Reader Recommended Campgrounds
- Fun Day Trip Ideas
- And More!
So, hang in there these last few weeks of school! And start planning for a great summer…