by Jill P
Mother’s Day is just around the corner. We’ve got some fun ideas of things to do with your family on Mother’s Day Weekend. Plus, there are some delicious Mother’s Day Brunches around Kalamazoo that you’ll want to check into.
And if you’re looking for unique Mother’s Day gifts, we have some unique ideas for you from some of our local businesses.
Fun Things To Do
1. Visit a Museum or the Zoo-Mother’s Day is the perfect day to take advantage of the Southwest Cultural Exchange! If you have a membership at one of the 5 participating museums, you can into the others for FREE during the month of May. See link for details from each of the museums. If you don’t have a museum member, the Binder Park Zoo is offering mother’s with a 50% off entry for the zoo today when accompanied by children.
2. Picnic and a Hike-Pack up a picnic and head to one of your favorite picnic spots. See our 4 Easy Hikes Your Kids Will Love article for ideas on where to hike with the younger ones
3. Visit Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids. They are open on Mother’s Day. We love the new Japanese Gardens. Bring your walking shoes, too to check out the rest of the gardens.
4. Feeling crafty? Join the Comstock Public Library on May 7 at 11:00 am for their Mother’s Day Craft (pre-registration required). Make mom a Chalk Board Planter at Lowe’s Build & Grow on May 5. Or check out our KZOOkids Pinterest Boards for more craft ideas that you can do at home.
5. Make a road trip to the Beach! A great way to spend the day is to head to one of our favorite shoreline communities-Saugatuck, St. Joseph, and South Haven are all within a good driving distance from Kalamazoo and offer plenty of opportunities to enjoy the day with your family.
6. Have a family outing together. Visit the Historic DeLano Homestead at the KNC and step back in time to learn how a thriving farm family lived in the 1850s.
7. Take mom out to Tulip Time in Holland. There are plenty of activities happening all weekend long.
8. Take a train ride. The Little River Railroad has a special Mother’s Day train ride.
9. Treat your mother like the queen she is and join the fun at Art Bayou on Mother’s Day. They are taking reservations and a $12 deposit per person. You can call the studio or register online.
10. Breakfast at Tiffany’s movie (with Mother’s Day Brunch menu) at the Alamo Drathouse in Kalamazoo.
Mother’s Day Brunches
Looking for Mother’s Day Brunch ideas? We have a few ideas for delectable brunches around our area.
- Mother’s Day Brunch Burdick’s for Breakfast at the Radisson
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Henderson Castle
- Mother’s Day Brunch, Native Plant Sale, and Program at Pierce Cedar Creek Institute
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Mangia Pizza & Pasta
- Mother’s Day Brunch at BraVo! Restaurant & Cafe
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Craftsman Chop Company
- Mother’s Day Brunch at the Fetzer Center
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Oakwood Bistro
Unique Mother’s Day Gifts
1. Treat Mom to a cooking class at the Pantry on Tap. Upcoming cooking classes include knife skills, oil & vinegar, and grilled cheese extravaganza.
3. Buy mom tickets for Hairspray the Musical running May 6 – May 22 at the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre.
5. Buy some sweet treats at Confections with Conviction. Great chocolates to support a great business model.