by Jill P
We’ve almost made it through January! Yeah! Break the cabin fever and head outside. There are some fun things going on around Kalamazoo this weekend. Consider…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Saturday, February 1 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the Leila Arboretum in Battle Creek.
- We are doing it again! The 6th Annual Festivus! Build your own Cardboard Sled Race, Ugly Sweater Contest, Local Restaurant Chili Cook-off!! Sled registration starts at 10AM with the first launch at 11AM.
- Shenanigans will continue throughout the afternoon! This is another awesome FUNdraiser brought to you by the Moustache Guys.
Saturday, February 1 from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm at the Oakland Drive Park in Portage.
- A great opportunity to enjoy time with your family and friends, all while embracing the white wonders of Michigan outdoors. There will be many activities to enjoy such as sledding and a snowman-building contest! Build, decorate and bring your own cardboard sled! Build and dress up the biggest and fanciest snowman! Prizes will be awarded for best in show for both contests as well as the fastest cardboard sled! And for when you need a warm respite from the activities, there will be a bonfire and hot chocolate and coffee available for purchase.
Saturday, February 1 from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum in Downtown Kalamazoo.
- The second annual Storytelling Festival takes place February 1, 2014 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum. The vendor fair opens at 10:00 on the third floor in the special exhibition gallery of the Museum. Storytellers, writers, musicians, bookstores, illustrators, and more will be on hand to share the creative wealth of stories in this region. A book island will be in the middle for children and parents to enjoy a variety of books and related activities together. The main stage moves to the first floor with a new storyteller starting at the top of each hour.
Saturday, February 1 from 9:00 am – 11:00 am at the WMU Dalton Center in Kalamazoo.
- Free to all participants, the Saturday Music Lab is held at Dalton Center on the campus of Western Michigan University. The two hour experience involves singing, moving and instrument playing activities designed by music education students under the supervision of faculty and practicing music educators. These experiences not only enrich school based curricular instruction for K-5 students, but also provide opportunities for WMU music education majors to refine their instructional and leadership skills in a real-world environment. Registration is open to students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade, for single or multiple Saturday Music Labs. Complete the online registration form.
Sunday, February 2 from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm at the Bookbug in Kalamazoo.
- Save the date now to come learn (or increase your no-doubt stellar-by-now skills related to) the most popular craft of the year: rubber band bracelet/necklace/key-chain-making). Rubber band expert crafters will be demonstrating how to create great patterns ‘loom free’ using only pencils or fingers. All other supplies will be provided, including rubber bands of all colors, and especially those that will make great Valentine’s Day wear and/or gifts!
All these of these events and more can be found on the KZOOkids.com calendar.
What fun things will you be doing this weekend?