by Jill P
Well, it’s been another week of cold and snowy weather. At this point, cabin fever is definitely starting to set in. There’s a lot of fun things going on around Kalamazoo this weekend. Bundle up the kiddos and head out to have some fun!
For this weekend, try one of these events…
FOR THE FAMILY
Friday through Sunday, February 20-22 at the Kalamazoo Civic Auditorium in Kalamazoo. See listing for show times. Production runs through February 27.
- Between the Dawn of the Faeries and the Dominion of Men lives a conservative, although content hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. Like most Shirefolk, his main concerns are his four breakfasts and nine separate suppers. But when the mysterious Gandalf the Grey arrives in the Shire, Bilbo’s simple life is turned upside down. Reluctantly, the homebody Bilbo joins a company of dwarves for the adventure of a lifetime. With the Goblin Army close at their heels, the band of travelers races to uncover the vast treasure guarded by the dreaded dragon, Smaug. As he embraces this adventurous side of himself, using his wits and common sense, Bilbo discovers wisdom and maturity he never knew he possessed.
Saturday, February 21 from 10:30 am – 11:30 am at Heronwood Field Station in Osthemo.
- Join KNC and Gazelle Sports for a special one-time-only walk at Heronwood Field Station. The Field Station, owned by KNC and, is located at 6378 Hart Drive, Oshtemo. It features over 60 acres of oak forest, wetlands, a large pond, and a 5,000 square foot ecological field station. Heronwood focuses on environmental studies for high school, college and graduate students interested in pursuing a career related to the environment. After the walk, enjoy some warmth and hot chocolate and tour the new field station building.
Saturday, February 21 at 11:00 am at the Alamo Drafthouse in Kalamazoo.
- Join us for a big beach party to celebrate opening weekend of THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE: SPONGE OUT OF WATER. Includes games for kids and parents and a craft station. Everyone will receive props to play along during the film. Special Krusty Krab menu available. Put on your best pirate or beach wear and come play with us! (Note: make sure that you’re aware of the Alamo’s age policy. See the full listing for more info).
Saturday, February 21 starting at 6:00 pm at First Baptist Church in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Presented by All Ears Theatre and Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo at First Baptist Church.
- Ten days ago someone stole 106 bars of gold bearing the King’s Seal from the treasury in Monterey. Gold that was destined to be shipped to Spain. Where is the gold and was Zorro somehow connected with the missing bullion? Written by Daryl McCullough and performed with the permission of Zorro Productions, Inc. Directed and produced by Jeff Mais.
Sunday, February 22 games starts at 3:00 pm at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo.
- Featuring the Snow Queen by Once Upon a Princess
- First 500 Kids Eat Free
- First 500 Kids get a free tiara or eye patch
- Free post-game skate presented by United Healthcare
- Little Pirate ship in the concourse for kids and more!
OTHER FUN IDEAS
If you’re in the mood to get out of town, check out our 10 Indoor Play Places Out of Town. These are great options that are within one hour or so from Kalamazoo. If you’re up for the drive to Grand Rapids, check out Disney Junior Live on Tour! Pirate & Princess Adventure on Sunday.
Did you check out our 15 Free or Cheap (less than $5) Things To Do Yet This Winter? Some fun and simple ideas here to do with your family.
We always love Open Cockpit Weekends at the Air Zoo for a great inside look at some of the great aircraft at the Air Zoo.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?