by Jill P
Happy it’s almost March! Yes, hopefully we’ll start getting some warmer weather soon. In today’s Weekend Picks, we’re including some ideas for the kiddos to do on Friday as many have no school.
For this weekend, try one of these events…
FIVE FUN FRIDAY EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
1. Frozen Party at Portage District Library starting at 2:00 pm.
2. Flippin’ February Lunch & Gym at Kids’ Gym starting at 11:30 pm. Pre-registration required.
3. Movie and Snacks: Muppets Most Wanted at Kalamazoo Public Library-Central location at 2:00 pm.
4. Open Jump at Kalamazoo Sky Zone from noon to 10:00 pm. (Note: they have special hours for today and Monday. See their Facebook page for more information).
5. Public Skating at Wings West from 11:30 am- 1:30 pm.
FOR THIS WEEKEND
Friday, February 27 at 7:30 pm at the Kalamazoo Civic Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- Between the Dawn of the Faeries and the Dominion of Men lives a conservative, although content hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. Like most Shirefolk, his main concerns are his four breakfasts and nine separate suppers. But when the mysterious Gandalf the Grey arrives in the Shire, Bilbo’s simple life is turned upside down. Reluctantly, the homebody Bilbo joins a company of dwarves for the adventure of a lifetime. With the Goblin Army close at their heels, the band of travelers races to uncover the vast treasure guarded by the dreaded dragon, Smaug. As he embraces this adventurous side of himself, using his wits and common sense, Bilbo discovers wisdom and maturity he never knew he possessed.
Both Celebration Cinema and the Kalamazoo 10 kickoff their Spring Movie lineup starting this weekend.
Flick’s Family Film Fest at Celebration Cinema kicks off with Dolphin Tale 2. Flick’s Family Film Festival returns February 27th through April 23rd with eight family-friendly titles! For each film, all regularly scheduled showtimes are free for kids 12-and-under and just $5 for adults.
Free Spring Movies at Kalamazoo 10 starts with the Boxtrolls. Every Saturday and Sunday at 9:00 A.M. and 10:00 A.M. see a select movie for FREE! All ages are welcome and free of admission. ***PLAYING AT ALL GOODRICH QUALITY THEATERS.
Saturday, February 28 from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Kingman Museum in Battle Creek.
- To close out our Prehistoric Life exhibit this Saturday, children get in free with a regular adult admission for I LOVE DInos! We will also have a live music performance from former Kingman Museum Director Bob Learner at 1 & 2pm. He will sing songs about dinosaurs from his anthology of Songs about Dinosaurs and other Museum Poetry. Copies of the book and CD he and his wife Joanna Learner created will be on sale the day of the performance. Hands on activities will be available from noon-4pm. Admission is just $7/adults, $6/seniors & military, $5/children or $20/family of 6 or less.
Sunday, March 1 at 3:00 pm at Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo.
- Based on the New York Times bestselling children’s books series by author Annie Barrows and Illustrator Sophie Blackhall, Ivy + Bean, The Musical is the story of an unexpected friendship between two very different second graders. The moment they saw each other, Bean and Ivy knew they would never like each other. Bean is loud, wild and goofy. Ivy is quiet and full of ideas. But when Bean plays a joke on her sister, and needs a place to hide, Ivy comes to the rescue. There’s mischief and laughter—along with learned lessons about the challenges and joy of family, friendship and love.
OTHER FUN IDEAS
If you’re in the mood to do some skiing, check out Winter Fest Family Fun at Timber Ridge. If you’re up for the drive to Grand Rapids, check out Disney on Ice Passport to Adventure running Friday- Sunday.
Open Cockpit Weekends are still happening at the Air Zoo for a great inside look at some of the great aircraft at the Air Zoo.
Who doesn’t love a great Mom to Mom sale? Check out our Spring Mom to Mom Sale Round-up to see which sales are happening this weekend.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids.com. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?