by Jill Piwko
Spring is in the air! We’ve reached it to May and we’re entering a good season to be out and about with the kiddos. For this weekend, consider…
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
Friday, May 2 from 4:00 to 8:00 pm, Saturday, May 3 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, Sunday, May 4 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Expo Center in Kalamazoo.
- The Kalamazoo Geological and Mineral Society annual show is bigger and better for 2014 with more dealers and activities. This year’s theme, “Rocks and Mineral – A World of Colors” promises to be one of the most beautiful Geology Shows ever presented in Kalamazoo.
- At the show explore and discover the world of rocks, minerals and fossils. Pan for gold, learn about silver smithing, play a game, polish a Petoskey stone, crack open a geode, build a mineral collection, search out fossils, buy some beads; all this and more can be done at this event. Admission: Adults $3, Kids under 12 are free with a paid adult. Scouts free when in uniform.
Friday, May 2 from 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm in various locations in Downtown Kalamazoo.
- Art Hop, “Spring Awakening,” Refresh your creativity this spring! Take a class to learn new skills! Explore our Reflections gallery for artwork to brighten your home or wardrobe. Enjoy glassblowing demonstrations. FREE
Friday, May 2 at 7:00 pm and Saturday, May 3 at 1:00 pm & 7:00 pm at the Comstock Auditorium in Comstock.
- The Sound of Music is one of the world’s most well known and well loved shows. Homeschool Performing Arts celebrates 10 years of shows in Kalamazoo by performing the beloved musical we brought to our first year in Kalamazoo, The Sound of Music. It will be hard to resist sharing in moments with Captain von Trapp’s spirited children, the discerning Mother Abbess, the beloved “Uncle Max” and of course, the forever endearing governess, Maria. Journey with the family von Trapp as they learn to love and as they join together to thwart danger. Show tickets are $8.
Saturday, May 3 from from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Kalamazoo Public Library, Central location in downtown Kalamazoo.
- Take your family to the library the first Saturday of every month! Enjoy fun, free activities with your family.
- On May 3rd, we’ll have fun with the Kalamazoo Literacy Council! In June, we’ll kick of Summer Reading Games with a big party in the library parking lot. In August, we’ll have flower and garden activities as part of Kalamazoo in Bloom’s weekend festivities.
Saturday, May 5 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm at Prairie View Park in Vicksburg.
- This event has become the ultimate Dog Walk & K-9 Festival, featuring top-notch entertainment and competitions, fun activities, great exhibitor booths, tempting treats and a kid’s only fun zone. It’s no wonder that now over 4,500 two and four-legged visitors come to Prairie View Park each year, making this the largest event of its kind in Michigan! Best of all, you don’t need to be a dog owner to take part in the fun and help animals! Adults $10; Kids 6-13 $5; Under 5 free.
These events and more can be found on our Events Calendar at KZOOkids. What fun things will you be doing this weekend?