*This guide was originally published in 2015 and has been updated for 2016.
by Marina H
From teacher gifts to fairy tales, there’s a reason we like apples so much! They are a perfect snack picked straight from the tree, stewed into apple sauce, dipped in caramel… should I go on, or is your mouth already watering?
Now that I’ve got you craving all things apple, rest assured, KZOOkids has got all of your favorite apple orchards and pumpkin farms listed together all in one spot!
Note: We recommend calling ahead to the apple orchard to verify that picking is available and what variety is available for picking at the time that you plan to go.
If you’re looking for pre-picked apples or pumpkins, you can also check out our Farmer’s Market Guide to find a local Farmer’s Market where you can find an ample supply this time of year.
Did we miss any of your favorites? If so, please let us know in the comment section below.
8544 Gull Road Richland | (269) 629-4214
- Gull Meadow Farms has begun their fall extravaganza! Several varieties of U-Pick apples are even ready. Guests can walk through the apple orchard or a tractor-drawn wagon wide is available during the weekends and weeknights. Make sure to follow Gull Meadow Farms on Facebook for current U-pick apple varieties and activity scheduling. UPick Honeycrisp will be available for picking September 17& 18. Gull Meadow Farms has a number of other activities for the kids in “Pumpkin Lane”. A trip to the farm isn’t complete without a stop to the bakery for fresh donuts and cider.
9191 West Main Street Kalamazoo | (269) 372-1237
- U-pick at Husted Farm Market will start around September 1st and they generally have 24 types of U-Pick apples available during the season. Red Delicious, always a popular favorite is slated to be ready for picking around October 1st! They also sell other fall treats such as cider, homemade donuts & pies, caramel apples, and pumpkins. Go on the weekend and catch a hayride for some extra fun!
8619 West ML Avenue Kalamazoo | (269) 375-0153
- Opening for the fall on September 10, VerHage’s Fruit Farm and Cider Mill has a variety of fall activities planned! VerHage’s offers U-pick apples and families are welcome to come seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. (September and October, with hours changing in November). The farm hosts a variety of other activities sure to keep the family entertained – hay rides, pony rides, Andy the Apple Train ride, the Lost Mine attraction. VerHage’s also has a small animal barn for the kids to check out. Make sure to check the website for their special events including the annual Apple Fest September 24. Don’t forget to head to the website to see the schedule for all the rides and activities this year!
13988 County Road 215 Grand Junction | (269) 427-7777
- Stokes Homestead offers a free ride out to their orchards where people can choose from a dozen U-Pick apple varieties and U-Pick pumpkins, too. While there, check out their apple & pumpkin donuts and all kinds of other bakery items plus a full kitchen with breakfast and lunch! For those that don’t mind a little fright, the Shadow Hollow Haunt (a haunted hayride) runs every Saturday in October. The times are dusk until 11:00 p.m.
- The Annual Homestead Fall Festival will be held October 15-16 from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and packed for fall fun for the entire family. The event boasts an arts & craft fair, pumpkin bowling, paint your own pumpkin, caramel apple station, face painting, pedal kart track, live music and so much more. Of course, wagon rides will run through the orchards with stops so you can pick an apple or pumpkin! Check out the website for additional information and pricing.
6054 124th Ave. Fennville, MI 49408 | (269) 561-8651
- Crane’s Orchards has officially opened for U-pick apples. The first crops available are expected to be McIntosh, Gala and Golden Supreme with more varieties as the season progresses. Honey crisp variety will be available September 14th. The Orchard hours are daily 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. End your visit to the orchards with a trip through the 20-acre corn maze or a ride on the cow train.
(Photo courtesy of Tara Fletcher Photography)
6017 124th Ave, Fennville | (269) 561-5126
- Fall apple picking starts early September at Gary Crane’s U-Pick Farm. They will have a number of varieties available including Gala and Golden Supreme, Honey Crisp, Jonathan, Empire, McIntosh, Cortland, Jonagold and Fuji. Save some money and make sure to bring your own containers (small, shallow boxes or 1/2 bushel baskets transport fruit best).
- Mid-September through October the farm offers a nice selection of specialty gourds, Jack O’Lantern and Giant Pumpkins.
6405 109th Avenue, South Haven | (269) 236-6312
- Apples and pumpkins galore are available to pick at Overhiser Orchards. There is also a hands-on animal barn with chickens, alpaca, goats, and bunnies along with a corn maze and hayrides to add to the fall fun.
- Hayrides are available between the hours of 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., or by appointment.
60139 County Road 652, Mattawan | (269) 668-3724
- Choose from 20 varieties of apples at Schultz Farms. Make sure to try some of their homemade caramel apples – hand crafted in small batches.
- Apple picking hours are Monday – Saturday 9:00 – 6:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 10:00 – 5:00 p.m.
1850 Friday Road, Coloma | (269) 468-3075
- Located along the shores of Lake Michigan, Jollay Orchards offers a wide array of apples beginning Labor Day. They are open daily from 10:00 – 5:00 p.m. Jump on the hayride out to the apple orchards or pumpkin patch. They even have a haunted house! The farm also features a market with a wide array of jams, treats, and sauces. Make a day of it and bring a picnic lunch. Jolly Orchards has a large picnic area set up with picnic tables and charcoal grills.
- Other child-friendly activities available during the weekends include an animal farm, playground, caterpillar crawl and a Ferris wheel!
65980 66th Avenue, Hartford | (269) 621-4037
- Big Dan’s offers free wagon rides to the u-pick apple orchards and pumpkin fields on weekends starting September 5th. Wagon rides will continue each weekend until Halloween.
60636 County Road 652, Mattawan | (269) 668-3603
- Check out Westview Farm for their selection of picked or u-pick apples. They also offer apple cider mid-September.
8335 Smith Road, Berrien Center | (269) 815-3370
- Earth First Farms is open for U-Pick of organic apples on fall weekends, generally after Labor Day. The hours are Friday-Sunday from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- At Earth First Farms they grow more than a dozen varieties of organic apples on about 2,000 fruit-bearing trees.
- At Earth First Farms, you can even rent a tree and claim dibs on all the fruit produced by that tree for the entire year!
4648 Otto Rd, Charlotte | (517) 543-1019
- Country Mill offers a wide variety of farm products and family-friendly activities such as a petting zoo, Orchard Express train, and haunted attractions in October.
- The Orchard Express Train will give rides beginning September 12th (Saturday and Sunday) from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- They will have several varieties of apples, with the U-Pick schedule changing weekly, so always call ahead to verify what is available to pick. Picking begins early September and ends late October. Visit the Orchard Update for the most up-to-date information
- On September 24 Country Mill will host the Michigan Apple Festival – a great time for families to enjoy a walk in the orchard, fresh cider, train rides, crafts and more!
Already Picked Pumpkins
22637 M-43 Kalamazoo | (269) 668-2952
- Gene the Pumpkin Man sells a variety of fall goods such as winter squash, Indian corn, gourds, honey, corn stalks and of course hundreds of pumpkins of all sizes. Pumpkins will be available in early October, daily from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
18725 M-40 Highway Gobles | (269) 628-5401
- Opens for the season September 17th to October 30th.
- Get your pumpkins, gourds, and other fall decor at Harvest Moon Acres or attempt to make it through their 5 -acre giant corn maze. Other attractions include a petting zoo, hayrides, interactive Farmers’ Market and corn bin in the indoor Fun Barn.
- Don’t miss Flashlight Nights at Harvest Moon Acres, every Saturday in the month of October until 10:00 pm! Come try the maze in the dark for a different twist – but be sure to bring a flashlight.
24777 County Road 354, Lawton | (269) 299-0369
- Vineyard 354’s theme is “Life’s simple pleasures”. During the month of October, Vineyard 354 offers a variety of pumpkins to pick from, sold by size. The Vineyard offers family fun in the way of hay rides, bounce castle, kiddie train rides and more. Check out their website for the most updated information about their hours.
Happy apple picking this season! Be sure to share with us your favorite apple recipes – pie, applesauce, apple crisp?